Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about CD/DVD rom drives being disabled in BIOS.

• Please log in to reply

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

I never mentioned the diagnostic lights!
I said "See System Messages and System Setup Program" see .jpeg below;

You sure didn't......my mistake! :) According to the picture, it may have said CMOS battery low simply because it wasn't configured at that point??

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
What is the present situation with the computer?

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

What is the present situation with the computer?

It's "working" like it did before all this.....still didn't resolve the issue I had when I first posted, but like you said, it's most likely the BIOS chip failing, or whatever. It's days are numbered though, so I don't care now. I was going to replace the motherboard with one out of another Dell Dimension 4400, but things have changed, and my wife and I are planning on replacing both of our computers.I started a thread in the computer building section, hoping to get some kind of advice or tips, but no one has offered any help at all. Kind of frustrating, especially when you see other people being helped on their first build.

But, just out of curiosity, is the reason it said CMOS battery low, because it wasn't yet configured, at that point?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
If you are not receiving that message now then yes, as stated on the Dell link I provided;
The system configuration information in the system setup program is incorrect, or the battery charge may be low.

I will have a look at your other topic.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

If you are not receiving that message now then yes, as stated on the Dell link I provided;
The system configuration information in the system setup program is incorrect, or the battery charge may be low.

I will have a look at your other topic.

Well, I wouldn't get that message now, because it's booting up......but I should go into setup, just to satisfy my curiosity(I'm still learning), and see if there is now anything about the battery being low. I'm sure there isn't. Thanks for all the help you've been! Much appreciated.

Edited by Jim45, 26 January 2012 - 05:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
If all is well I would leave well alone, besides the message would automatically display and no need to go into the BIOS.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
o.k.......sounds good to me. Tired of messing with old computer anyway.