Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 seeing Vista?

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The recovery disks are to return the computer back to the state it was in when you bought the computer. This may be required if your current installation becomes corrupt, or if you have to replace a failed hard drive.

Reliability is one thing with budget brands but expansion/upgrade options is another issue. It is often not possible or would require a major upgrade. For example, it is most likely the original power supply is barely adequate to handle the existing hardware. So upgrading graphics (often the most power hungry device in a computer) often requires a new PSU too. Even adding RAM (typically the best bang for your upgrade money - before upgrading the graphics) may tax the budget PSU too much.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank you for your continuous support - it is very much appreciated.

The recovery disks are to return the computer back to the state it was in when you bought the computer. This may be required if your current installation becomes corrupt, or if you have to replace a failed hard drive.

So there might be a chance of us deleting Vista and then one day, should my friend want to pick up that old thing, we could restore it with the disc?

Yeah I very much hear you about the upgrading - More RAM, a bigger video card or just any video card means upgrading the PSU and whatnot as well - ending up making an old computer more expensive than a new one. Of course you could also spend even more on a newer system but then it's probable not a entry system from the bottom shelf with less than sufficient hardware. We often wish - from both an economic and environmental view that our computers, hardware etc. last a good while but we might also just accept that they often don't - especially not those bargain makes.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

So there might be a chance of us deleting Vista and then one day, should my friend want to pick up that old thing, we could restore it with the disc?

More than a chance. That's how it is supposed to work.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

More than a chance. That's how it is supposed to work.

That sounds really good - I was really thinking that it was only usable when your Windows was still installed and "just" a wee bit corrupted - missing some files etc.

So we could go on and just delete the Windows Vista files?

What about the Recovery partition?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

What about the Recovery partition?

What about it? You can delete it, but then you will not be able to use it to recover Vista.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
So the discs would be sufficient? I was thinking the discs perhaps needed the recovery partition. Guess not?

And the discs should be able to reinstall Vista even though we uninstall it?

Excuse my ignorance...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The recovery disk will be bootable and once booted, it will reinstall Vista on the boot drive.

The advantage of some recovery disks (DVDs) have over a recovery partition is the partition will take the system back to factory specs. The DVD will take the system back to when the DVD was created.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Sounds great. Then we'll be able to delete either Vista, the Recovery partition or both. And then use the recovery disc or the partition to bring Vista back on the HDD.

This way everybody can be happy. I seriously doubt that my friend would have any need for Vista in the future. Newer OS will pop up and I also doubt the cost to bring his old PC up and running would be worth it. Entry level PC's are getting even cheaper so he should be covered. But again, this way, with the option to have Vista back he can still have the option at least.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I was just thinking about utilizing the Recovery Partition sometime down the lane. If we have deleted the Vista installation and only have the Recovery Partition, and were to put the HDD back in it's old cabinet etc. how would we boot to the Recovery partition - do we need any tools for that?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Depends on the computer and how the maker set it up. I would read the manual for the Vista machine and see how it says now to use the recovery partition. Then go from there.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah that should be the way to fare since there aren't one clear cut way to do this. I ordered my friend to uncover the manual for the PC. He's quite happy that we're able to delete Vista now so that he could use it's place for storage. At first we'll leave the Recovery partition pristine, then maybe after a while he'll think he won't need Vista no more or need the space for storage... We'll see.

Also if all is deleted we still have the Recovery disc - created just after the computers first boot!

Thanks a lot for all your help... :thumbsup:

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You are welcome.