Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer crashing alot recently

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi there,

Recently I've noticed that my IE 8 is crashing a lot for the past 2 months and this never happened before. The symtoms of this are as follows;

1) If I have several tabs open and a couple of them are videos (e.g. youtube), one of the videos will often crash with the video going white and an exclamation mark in the middle. Then when I switch to the other tabs it will just stay on the image for the tab that's crashed. If I try to open another tab in the window it will have the same problem.

2) A warning message coming up saying that there is a lack of memory and some applications should be shut down.

System specs: Windows Vista Home Premium 2007, Service Pack 2
Memory RAM: 2.00 GB
Processor: Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU processor T7300 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
System type: 32-bit operating system

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi ira_gaines

Can you provide more information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Also, understand that most problems with IE8 and IE9 are due to conflicting or misbehaving add-ons. To run without add-ons, click on the Start orb and start entering in the search box, Internet Explorer. When you see "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" appear, double-click it and see how that works. Alternatively, I recommend you reset Internet Explorer. From within IE, click on Tools > Internet options > Advanced, then click "Reset..." to take IE back to its default settings with no add-ons.

Finally, part of practicing safe computing is ensuring you have the latest versions of your programs. This is especially important for security programs, the operating system and your browsers. With Vista and Windows 7, you should be running http://windows.micro...wide-languages' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Internet Explorer 9. Upgrading to IE9 may just fix your problem, provide faster browsing, and make you more secure at the same time.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Hi ira_gaines

Can you provide more information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Laptop. Acer Aspire 7720G.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Also, understand that most problems with IE8 and IE9 are due to conflicting or misbehaving add-ons. To run without add-ons, click on the Start orb and start entering in the search box, Internet Explorer. When you see "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" appear, double-click it and see how that works. Alternatively, I recommend you reset Internet Explorer. From within IE, click on Tools > Internet options > Advanced, then click "Reset..." to take IE back to its default settings with no add-ons.

Will getting rid of the add-ons have any negative effects?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Will getting rid of the add-ons have any negative effects?

Negative? I guess that depends on your definition of negative. It will not degrade performance if that is what you mean. But if you have a favorite toolbar you added, it will remove that. But that's fine because you can always reinstall it, once you are sure that is not the cause of your problem.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I don't have any tool-bar add ons or anything else I'm actively using. Looking on Manage Add-Ons all mine are Adobe, Microsoft and Java. Is getting rid of these gonna downgrade performance.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No. When, if, you need them again, you will be prompted to install them. And when that happens, you will get the latest version. Consider this, is Internet Explorer working so much better now (with the add-ons) than it did when you first installed IE (without the added add-ons)? Not likely.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I reset IE but I'm still getting the same problem although not as much. I've attached jpegs below of the warning messages that have been coming up since this started a couple of months ago. Like I said before it's always when there are internet videos up.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Warning 1.jpg
  • Warning 2.jpg

Edited by ira_gaines, 27 January 2012 - 05:57 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Again, since you are using Vista, you should upgrade to IE9. That alone may correct your problem.

What is a bit interesting is it is AVG reporting this problem. You might consider a different anti-malware solution, one that does not consume so many resources on its own. I personally use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

Also note that 2Gb of RAM is not very much to begin with. Windows itself is using much of that, then when you add in your security programs, anything else you are starting at startup, that leave little for when you start using your computer for other tasks, including viewing videos.

How much free disk space do you have?

What other programs do you have running when Windows starts?

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

What is a bit interesting is it is AVG reporting this problem. You might consider a different anti-malware solution, one that does not consume so many resources on its own. I personally use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

To be honest AVG only started reporting this 1 week ago when it got a major update and now has additional features. I've always had AVG and I never had this problem before the last couple of months.

How much free disk space do you have?

171 GB

What other programs do you have running when Windows starts?

According to MSCONFIG; Windows Defender, Adobe Reader, Groove Monitor Utility, AVG, Java Platform Auto Updater, Secunia PSI Tray, Logitech Setpoint

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, free disk space is not an issue.

Note that AVG includes anti-spyware so you don't need Windows Defender.

Do you do collaborative work with other people on Word or other Microsoft Office documents? If no, you don't need Groove Monitor either.

For the record, for years I used AVG too. And while it was excellent at protecting me from infections, I got rid of it from all my systems because it became too bloated (used too system resources) with junk I did not need or want.