Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about a rogue please

• Please log in to reply

gars

gars

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. Thank you so much for clicking on my topic.

I am asking my question on this board because there are many experts in viruses. :happy:

A few weeks ago, my computer was infected by a scarware/rogue/malware which, I think, was rather common. Many people seem to have been infected. My computer was running Windows Vista. When I started the computer, I could not do anything. There were many fake hardware alerts such as:

Failed to save all the components for the file \System32\00004823. The file is corrupted or unreadable.
Disk drive C:\ is unreadable.
System files are damaged. System is unstable.
Bad sectors on hard drive or damaged file allocation table.
GPU RAM temperature is critically high. Urgent RAM memory optimization is required to prevent system crash.
Data Safety Problem. System integrity is at risk.

My programs and all my personal files were hidden. On my data partitions, Attrib+H made them fully visible and accessible again. On the system partition, I managed to make files visible but the icons are still half transparent as thought there were hidden files.

This HD was old and small. Instead of trying to kill the rogue, I bought a brand new HD and installed a fresh Windows. Now I would like to plug the infected HD to my current computer and transfer all data.

My questions are the following:
- Do you think the personal files I intend to transfer from my infected HD (Office documents, videos, images and music) might be infected by the rogue so that they would carry it to my current computer?
- Do you think they might be corrupted by the rogue? I do not know if rogues damage files (apart from system files).
- During the transfer, I will not launch any exe. Do you think the rogue might migrate onto my current computer?

Thank you for any advice.
Have a good day.
Frédéric

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo gars,

This request seems more like when someone self-treats an illness, than calls a doctor on the phone and asks them if the person is now okay. I would like to suggest we check things out, before making any comments about files and potential for passing infection. You can just run some online scan, such as Eset's, to provide some sense of comfort that your files are clean. But if you like, we can also take a look at things. Let me know please.