Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Samsung HDD problems

• Please log in to reply

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Greetings!

I just reformatted my HDD for the umpteenth time (I had a malicious rootkit which could not be removed by other means). The problem is, the HDD behaves quite odd. This have happened to me before the formatting, but now, this strange error gets unquestionably disturbing.

When I try to delete a specific folder from the hard drive (C:\Games\Bikini karate babes 2), the computer freezes. I installed Hard Drive Sentinel 3.70, and when I run the full test, a soft click arrives from inside the hard drive, and Hard Drive Sentinel bombs me out with an "Unsuccessful because of the error of reading unit" or some sort. When I run the cluster test with Hard Drive Sentinel, it starts, and near the half of the first clusters line, the computer freezes and then restarts. And the hard disk keeps clicking.

Is there any known way to fix this problem, or only the trashcan? As you can see, formatting does not work, Hard Drive Sentinel does not work either...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Very well, I installed the Samsung Device Manager...and what now? It just sits there, I can't click on anything on the window.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Installed?
You should be getting the cd dos iso version and make the bootable disk.
Then reboot the system and let the newly created cd boot and that should allow you to test the hard drive.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I ran chkdsk with /f and /r parameters (this is Windows XP SP3), and noticed that the hard drive stopped for rather long periods at 71% at the first and third phases, and it also took excessively long to pass through the 80%-phases at phase four. The entire chkdsk procedure lasted for around 2 hours.

During the 71% stoppings, the hard drive produced that soft, clicking sound periodically, but eventually, it passed the entire test. According to Hard Drive Sentinel, there are 2 weak sectors - I had'em before the reformat - but they never crashed the system when I tried to delete some junk from the hard drive.

If you have any ideas, tell me until I'm going to try this Device Manager ISO.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would like to have you run the cd DOS ISO and boot the system using it. This will keep the system out of windows and boot only to the cdrom.