Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Inbox Info missing in Outlook Express v6.0 - 2GB size

• Please log in to reply

Gustavo Oporto

Gustavo Oporto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My inbox did not show any information even though the file inbox.dbx shows 2 Gb size. I have been reading that this happens when your inbox or any other folder reaches the 2GB limit. I managed to find my file inbox.dbx. With OE open, I created a folder named inbox2. With OE closed, I erased inbox2.dbx and I renamed inbox.dbx to inbox2.dbx. When I opened OE again, it created a new inbox.dbx. Good, now I can receive mails once again. But, I want to read some unread mails from the old inbox2 and I cant still do it. Is there any way to open up this folder and erase some unimportant mails??
Also, I know of a script that simulates that one is not reaching 2GB and one can keep on adding information to the inbox with no problem. I managed to open the script, but I dont know how to use it on my machine since I formatted it and this script doesnt seem to work anymore. I changed my location where my files are stored to my "D" drive since I was running out of space in my C drive. Here is what the script says:
reg add
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{xxxx-xx-xxx}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0" /v "Compact Check Count"/
t REG-DWORD/d 0 /f
Any clues anyone???

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

1. If you changed the location as you were running out of space on C drive - you MUST ensure you have 10% at least free space on your system drive otherwise you will have all sorts of problems of which OE will be only a minor aspect.

2. I wiould not run any script to alter the 2Gb limit

See this, all being well you will be able to recover the messages from backup folders.
http://answers.micro...fc-68b599b31bf5
you may need to follow the links provided on that Microsoft advice
Basically see firstly if you can find the backups
If you are running XP/SP2, or SP3, and are fully patched, then you should have a backup of your dbx files in the Recycle Bin, (or possibly the message store), copied as bak files.

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first find the location of the Message Store.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, the .dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Gustavo Oporto

It is now 12 days since you joined GeekstoGo and asked for advice and help.
Advice was posted the same day.
You have not yet replied.
Would you please do so.
Thank you