Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All Programs won't run but rather being opened by Media Player Cla

• Please log in to reply

georgeblues

georgeblues

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I really need help on this. While installing a screensaver program I recently downloaded from a site, it prompted me to select a program to run it as it cannot run by itself. Whithout thinking, I quickly selected Media Player Classic. From then on all exe files can't run but rather opens the Media Player Classic. I thought of using the "Open with" command using the right click on the exe file but I can no longer find it in the menu. Restoring the system to a previous date won't work either since the System Restore could not open in the first place. I badly need help from anybody now. Can someone give me a hand? Thanks.

Advertisements

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
What operating system are you running?

georgeblues

georgeblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm running Windows 7 Pro.

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

Thank you.

georgeblues

georgeblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, I'll try that. Thanks.

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Please keep me updated.

May I ask what program you tried to open with Windows Media Player?

Thank you.

Edited by Fustigate, 21 January 2012 - 11:01 AM.

georgeblues

georgeblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
After saving the notepad as "Exe.reg" in the folder D:\_Windows Pix, doing the next step gives me an error message like the following:

ERROR: Invalid syntax.
Type "REG IMPORT /?" for usage.

georgeblues

georgeblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Please keep me updated.

May I ask what program you tried to open with Windows Media Player?

Thank you.

It was the "Marine Aquarium 2 screensaver". I was trying to install it.

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Rather than using CMD to to import it, right-click the .reg file and click Merge

georgeblues

georgeblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, I used Merge and it says it added the reg file. I'll have to log off, then log back onto my account. I'll keep you posted.

... I'm back. Hey, it did the job and I think even before I logged off it's done, 'cause I noticed the icons were back. I just needed to follow the instructions of logging off and back on.

THANKS A LOT Fustigate. YOU'RE A BIG HELP. :thumbsup:
I'll try to return the favor to others, if ever I can. Thanks again. ;) Bless you man.

Edited by georgeblues, 21 January 2012 - 12:18 PM.

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Okay, I used Merge and it says it added the reg file. I'll have to log off, then log back onto my account. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

Please do

georgeblues

georgeblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

... I'm back. Hey, it did the job and I think even before I logged off it's done, 'cause I noticed the icons were back. I just needed to follow the instructions of logging off and back on.

THANKS A LOT Fustigate. YOU'RE A BIG HELP. :thumbsup:
I'll try to return the favor to others, if ever I can. Thanks again. ;) Bless you man.

Thanks. I just need to do this to update the "Last Post Info".

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
That is great news. Remember not to try opening an exe file with Windows Media Player. ;)

Thank you for your cooperation, have a good day.

Gideonnaire

Gideonnaire

• Pip
  • 1 posts
you can go through all the sh@t on the internet or windows site but i have a much simpler solution that worked for me:

1. START>>CONTROL PANEL>>UNINSTAL A PROGRAM and uninstall the program that you last installed/the person last installed. when uninstalling it make sure you check to remove all its files/default settings and you are good to go!!!

2. START>>CONTROL PANEL>>PROGRAMS>>TURN WINDOWS FEATURES ON or OFF>>MEDIA FEATURES>>uncheck WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER and press OK. THis works perfect for WINDOWS 7..if you aren't using win7 then please look for a nice cloud OS if ur machine is low end!!!!