Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clear all material off computer and download XP again

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Basicly what it means is there is not enough memory (ram) to run the programs.
That is way we asked and informed you of the low amount of memory you have.

This will explain more.
Read here

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right, I was told that I had plenty of memory and could put my pictures back on my computer. I would not have done that if I was told not to put back my things on my computer. So I did and had no problems with it until today. Also I could not get into where you wanted me to go, it would not open up. Ok, now if I take off all the pictures again and my music will I be all right? For this machine was running so good and I so enjoyed being able to use it again. I have no problem taking off these things if it means that everything will be fine. Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Virtual memory is directly affected by the lack of physical memory. Try the following to adjust your virtual memory settings.

Windows XP

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
In the Performance pane, click Settings.
In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.
Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, click Set, and then click OK.
Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

All right, I was told that I had plenty of memory and could put my pictures back on my computer.

Your hard drive free space is what is ok Sharon. Virtual memory is not related to the amount of free space you have. :thumbsup:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
In Post 109 I showed the following: Rshaffer61...Did you catch this in her other post? 446.42 Mb Total Physical Memory | 68.31 Mb Available Physical Memory | 15.30% Memory free

15.3% free is bad. Rshaffer61 took it from there about adding memory (ram). You were going to have a relative look in to it.

As been stated, having items on the hard drive is not the problem. As you open a program and then another one and a web page, the computer will low down and eventually give you the "low virtualmemory".
Rshaffer61 has given you a workaround that will help. The best course of action is more memory/ram.

Sorry about the link. This will work: Read here.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
So now do you want me to remove all the pictures off and the music? I should have done that without bottering you guys. I just could not figure out waht was going one. Thank you so much once again.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have done as you said so now I remove all I put on right? I am really very confused at this time. Thank you so much. I will keep things off this machine until the time I get more memory. That should take care of this problem right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No you don't have to remove anything at this point. If you followed the instructions I gave your virtual memory should be ok now.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right, I shall leave all I put back on here alone then. Sorry about this. I am really beginning to be a pain. But, I do believe it is the machine that is beginning to be a pain. Have a great day. God bless you.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you, that was very interesting and I do understand more about it now. You know the man you have hitting his head on the desk, I have been there.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Sharon

You are not a pain. We are all here because we enjoy what we do and enjoy helping others.
RShaffer61 and I have worked together many times. I am not as active because I have been super busy at work.
I am trying to change that, but work comes first. It is interfering with my being on this forum and also how active I am in my Scout troop though.
I am finding I seem to work 25 hours a day.

Be patient, we will get you through this.

Paul

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you and I know that you all will and have. Great bunch of people here for sure. I used to work those kind of days myself, now I am retired and so enjoying it. Don't work too hard and forget what you love to do. God bless you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Virtual memory is not related to the amount of free space you have

It can be if the Page File is being crowded and/or cannot expand to required size. While there was plenty of free disk space earlier, depending on the resolution of the photos saved, and their file type 50Gb can be eaten up pretty quick. I might suggest you run with Windows XP Disk Cleanup to rid the hard drive of clutter, then, as suggested earlier, run Disk Defrag. I generally recommend booting into Safe Mode to run Disk Defrag so the maximum number of files can be moved/defragged.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you, I will do just that. I appreciate your help.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Good afternoon, I wanted to let you know that I have not had a single window pop up and tell me that virtual memory is low. Once again, I say thank you and I sure am enjoying using this machine the way I used to. Really, I do so appreciate all your help. I am going to get more memory. When? Not to sure about that right now. Once again, thanks to you all.