Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clear all material off computer and download XP again

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok the issue doesn't appear to be hard drive free space form what I can see.
Lets take a look at the disk integrity now.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right, I will do this but I will most likely shut down after it is done.
It could be late, right? So, if it is late, I shall try to get on in the afternoon. Thank you so much for all you are doing. I really appeciate it.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Can I take the JPEG off the desktop now and delete it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Can I take the JPEG off the desktop now and delete it?

Yep you can delete it now. Btw great job on attaching the picture. :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you kind sir. The other matter will have to wait until some other time for I am tired. Had a wonderful day tomorrow. Each time I try to do as you said, it goes right back to my desk top.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it will go back to the desktop. You need to reboot and the program will start before windows starts. Once it is done running then you can boot into windows. Make sure to read my instructions completely so you can find the log the program created at attach it to your next reply. :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Good morning, I have done what you told me to do. I copied all that was on so you can see what it says. 1st: The type of file -NTFS cannot lock current driver. Cannot run cause volume is in use by another process. Would you llike this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? I type Y
Now to the blue colored window. Cannot open volum for direct access. Windows has finished checking this disk. It has not checked the disk at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem we will work on that in a bit. Try the following and let me know the results.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Ok, when I got to the part that I would see various entries Values on the right side, I had default and no SourcePath at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then without the actual installation disk this isn't going to happen then.
The next step is to boot into safe mode with networking and see if the system reacts like it should. If so then we can one two different directions to clean up the system issues.
Do you know how to get into Safe Mode with Networking ?

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Ok, now I want to tell you what disk's I have, I have System Recovery DVD Windows Vista Home Premium and I have Operating system Microsoft Windows xp Home Edition. On this computer Vista was put on when I was given it as a gift. They had it taken to a store and had Vista removed and put XP on it. As for the XP I have, I don't know if that is the one they put on here.
Now, as to answer your question, I do not know how. Sorry.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please check if you are having the same issues in Safe Mode.
Reboot your PC, and after the first beep keep tapping F8
You will get a text based menu where you will be able to select Safe Mode with networking.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I went into safe mode and the screen went with multi (0)rdisk(0)partition etc all the way down to the bottom. I waited and it did go to my desk top. I hope this is what you wanted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that is what it should do. Does the system act better in Safe Mode?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Yes it does. I was surprised by that. I do have a qestion for you. My husband and I were talking and we wanted to ask you what brand of computer you think is a good buy and a good computer? Just checking for one never knows when yours is gone.