Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clear all material off computer and download XP again

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are not shuttting it off but only hiding it in the list so that you don't turn it off.
I'm still not clear as to what is the exact issue you are having. Is it the internet, the speed of the system, programs not working or something else.

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Good morning, first off I was getting this message each time I would go to a web page: Internet Explore has encounted a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Internet Explorer.) I check each time and have for a very long time and nothing. So, I still had the problem and was getting shut down when going to web sites. Also, my machine was so very slow. I took all my material that matters and copied it and then deleted all off the computer. I need to save my pictures of the grandchildren and I will do that when I figure out how to save them to my CD. Also, my machine went back to trying to do a scan which you helped me get rid of. Now my machine was going much better. I wanted to see if I still could do a system restore but was unable to after that last check I started to do. So now once again I cannot do a system restore again.

Do you still want me to try to uncheck each one and go from there. I did click on Hide All Microsoft and Services before I started as you asked. So it must still be done. So sorry to be a pain. You are so good to help me and I certainly understand your frustration. We did have this faster and as for the scan that starts each time I tun on, I will go back to the papers you helped me with for I have all them and get rid of it again as we did before.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you talking about the chkdsk scan again?
System restore points are most likely corrupted and that is why you can't do any. Depending on our outcome here I may have you just clear them all once things are working right and then you will have a clean restore point if you ever need it.
You can try to do the msconfig services if you can and would like to.
I'm not frustrated with you at all as I really do enjoy helping others and a good trial system is always fun to try and repair.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I am glad you enjoy this. I will do the last on but it has 100 things on it. I counted them last night. So, it may take awhile. I am just happy to have help here. I will get after that when lunch is over.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and please take all the time you need. I am in no hurry and always get a email notification when you reply. I would rather you take 2 or 3 days then to hurry through it and possibly miss something. You are doing great and it is a honor to help folks when the genuinely appreciate the assistance we give here at GTG. I would also like to say it is a honor that you allow me to assist you with your issues and I will stick with you till we resolve this one way or another. :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you so much. I have the copy here and what did you want me to do when I get to a program that will not open, such as Essential services. Should I just pass by it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes if it will not work then so be it.
Lets work on the internet issue for now.
What browser are you using IE, Chrome, Safari or Firefox?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right. I use Internet Explorer. Roadrunner is my server and my home page.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please try the below instructions and let me know if IE works correctly.

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Yes, I do think we have something here. It is JOSIESTARTDetectorImpClass; What is it? I do believe this is causing the problem I am having.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm going to ask one of our malware techs because that may be a sign of a infection which could be causing the issues.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right. I left it disabled. Is that good? I have no idea what it is. Or how it got there.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is the java quick start plugin - if you do not use Java to play games on the web then it might be an idea to uninstall java completely

There may be some infection there, I could not say for sure at this stage

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sharon I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here
If you can post the link to your malware topic to me here I will let the malware techs know so they can pick you up quickly and start helping there.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I do feel you are right about this. My grandchildren have been on here and I have no idea where they have went. New rule: Stay off my computer! Thank you for your help. You have been so good to me and patient. God bless you. I will do as you suggest.