Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing win98 on a new computer

• Please log in to reply

NATAN

NATAN

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Hello I'm hoping you can help.
In my place of work they are using a program which only runs on win98.They purchased a new computer (dual core e6600) and requested to install windows 98. First I tried running on xp in 98 compatable mode but the program didn't work. I then started from scratch on a clean hard disk partitioned and formatted using fat32, copied the win98 disk to the c partition and started the install. After a number of dificulties I finally reached the end of the install however immediately after showing the splash screen the computer froze. I did a restart and this time asked for conformation mode. As soon as the last vxd driver is loaded the computer freezes. I tried not loading the VXD drivers but that didn't solve the problem. If it wasn't for the enormous expense to purchase the updated software I wouldn't even have tried this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I then started from scratch on a clean hard disk partitioned and formatted using fat32, copied the win98 disk to the c partition and started the install.

What do you mean copied the win98 to the hard drive?

After a number of dificulties I finally reached the end of the install however immediately after showing the splash screen the computer froze.

Faulty install most likely is the issue

I did a restart and this time asked for conformation mode. As soon as the last vxd driver is loaded the computer freezes. I tried not loading the VXD drivers but that didn't solve the problem. If it wasn't for the enormous expense to purchase the updated software I wouldn't even have tried this.

This driver did not install and that is why you are having a problem.

Is this a original Microsoft Win98 installation disk?

NATAN

NATAN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
What I meant was that I copied all of the installation files from the original Microsoft installation cd onto my hard disk and did the installation from there.
It seems you're right about the driver that didn't install properly as after leaving the computer for about a half an hour it suddenly came to life and notified about a driver issue and continued to load without that driver. In the end Windows98 loaded and seems to work all right, but I have two other problems.
1) Windows doesn't recognize the multiburner drive (LG - sata dvd burner).
2)Although usb controllers appear in the list of device drivers, usb 2.0 memory sticks are not accessable due to lack of drivers.
Would greatly appreciate any assisstance in getting over these final hurdles.
Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

1) Windows doesn't recognize the multiburner drive (LG - sata dvd burner).

Is it seen in My Computer?
Broni's canned speech:

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.
5. Go to Microsoft's site http://support.micro..._drive_problems and follow the steps.
6. Try the guide at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

They purchased a new computer (dual core e6600) and requested to install windows 98. 2)Although usb controllers appear in the list of device drivers, usb 2.0 memory sticks are not accessable due to lack of drivers.

What is the make and model of the system if it is a name brand system. If not what is the make and model of the motherboard?
Being a newer system there may be no Win98 drivers for this.