Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What kind of plug in is this? (Power Supply)

• Please log in to reply

cluelessnafum

cluelessnafum

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I purchased a 1700 watt power supply, and long story short it was not what was shown on the website I got it from so now I'm dealing with it. I have no I idea what kind of cord is supposed to plug into this thing. It has two long rectangular ports with 30 little slots in them and one little port with 6 little slots (see attached pictures). Can someone please tell me what kind of cords this thing needs?

Attached Thumbnails

• Misc 048.JPG
  • Misc 058.JPG
  • Misc 061.JPG

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Doesn't look anything like a "traditional" plug in any sense of the word.

Does this box have any model numbers or brand names on it?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
That PSU looks like it is for rack mounted computers, not a PC, and is designed to slide into a mount (like a docking station) in a large rack. It is NOT an ATX Form Factor PSU. I am not finding any adapters in my searching, and frankly, I am not sure you could use that in a PC. ATX Form Factor PSUs are required to supply +12VDC, +5VDC, +5Vsb (standby), and +3.3VDC voltages. And the ATX PSU is require to sense the status and power on when the two PWR_ON pins on the ATX Form Factor motherboard are shorted by the power button on front of the ATX Form Factor case.

Do you know for a fact that PSU supplies all the required voltages - including the very important +5sb voltage (necessary to use the case's front panel power button)?

If what you got is not what the pictured showed, I would send it back and get a refund. Then I would re-evaluate your PSU needs. Unless you are running 3, 4, or more super high-end graphics cards with massive amounts of RAM and lots of hard drives, it is not likely you need anything near 1700 watts.

Can someone please tell me what kind of cords this thing needs?

Not without knowing what your plan on using this PSU for.