Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU overheating

• Please log in to reply

Aquaczaz

Aquaczaz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently, (within the last 2 weeks) my CPU is overheating when I set my motherboard's EPU-4 Engine to high performance. normally, on max power saving, the CPU temperature doesn't go above 45C, but when it's set to high performance, even while idling, it jumps to over 70C. I've had it set to high performance before, for hours at a time, with no temperature problems. I clean my case fans, video card fan, and CPU fan and heatsink with compressed air about every month. I thought it may be the thermal paste, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I spent the money.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:welcome: Aquaczaz

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

For the record it is a rare occurrence that thermal interface material will need replacing if it was applied correctly in the first place.
Higher temps can be caused by inadequate or failing fans, poor cable management or a bad PSU as a couple of examples.

Aquaczaz

Aquaczaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
it's a custom build
Operating System: Windows 7
System Specs: AMD phenom x4 3.4 ghz 4 core processor
Radeon HD 5750 graphics card
4 GB RAM
ASUS M4A785-M motherboard
OCZ 700W power supply
the case has 6 fans and some metal mesh on all sides, so ventilation shouldn't be an issue

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Couple of things for you to do and can you do them after watching a video or gaming so that the PC has been under load;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Then go into the BIOS and post a screenshot of the ASUS temp and volt monitoring facility please;

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup: