Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Frozen pc (running W98)

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I know a PC can freeze up (arrow cursor not moveable) for many reasons but ....
when that occurs what are all the options for "kicking" it? I am familiar with C-A-D and closing one or more of the running programs (and sometime that has worked for me). But are there other combinations I might try? Thank you. ...wdc

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Sometimes a 'warm' reboot is the only option to recover from a 'hanging' PC. This involves pressing the 'reset' button (the smaller, recessed button next to the power-on button on the front of the PC case). This will cause the PC to restart , Scandisk will run because of an improper shutdown, and Windows will re-load in working order. Also has the advantage of freeing up all the memory that was previously unavailable but not being used (a result of Windows poor memory management). The reset is the quickest and surest way to 'unfreeze' a PC and does no harm to the components.