Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows live messenger - sudden annoying problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Hi guys, Firstly I'd like to wish youse all A Happy and prosperous 2012

I have a very upsetting problem with messenger (15) displayed pictures of my friends aren't showing anymore, all I can see is the 'snowman' LOL
I tried to follow the msn troubleshooter for the problem, but just got more entangled - My security is AVG full, and I see no problems there -
msn says it could be a corrupted cache LOL but not how to check it - (I'm a very simple guy, and can be easily confused) so I'm wondering if one of youse fine people can assist me as you have with my problems over the years. Also one of my friends was talking to me when he was offline! when I'm offline I can't talk to anyone LOL is there a secret to that?
Appreciate your help guys

Ricky

Edited by Ricky_22, 22 January 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Oh dear, I was hoping this would be a quick and easy fix :( obviously it's far more complicated than I thought ..........................

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Try this:-

TFC(Temp File Cleaner):

• Please download TFC to your desktop,
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
  • Right-click TFC.exe and select Run as Administrator to run the program.
  • Click the Start button in the bottom left of TFC
  • If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
Note: Save your work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It should not take longer than a couple of minutes , and may only take a few seconds. Only if needed will you be prompted to reboot.

Next:

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Control Panel >> double click on Programs and Features
  • Now double click on Windows Live Essentials 2011 >> Repair all Windows Live Programs >> Reboot(restart) your machine if prompted.
Let myself know the outcome, thank you.

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Try this:-

TFC(Temp File Cleaner):

• Please download TFC to your desktop,
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
  • Right-click TFC.exe and select Run as Administrator to run the program.
  • Click the Start button in the bottom left of TFC
  • If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
Note: Save your work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It should not take longer than a couple of minutes , and may only take a few seconds. Only if needed will you be prompted to reboot.

Next:

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Control Panel >> double click on Programs and Features
  • Now double click on Windows Live Essentials 2011 >> Repair all Windows Live Programs >> Reboot(restart) your machine if prompted.
Let myself know the outcome, thank you.

Thank you so much for your reply, it seems very strange not seeing my friends pictures LOL

Well I did as you asked, only I didn't get the choice of repairing windows live programs, I was advised to uninstall and then re-install the program, which I did - but sadly, I still cannot see their pictures!

Ricky

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Thank you so much for your reply, it seems very strange not seeing my friends pictures LOL

You're welcome and aye I'm sure it is...

Well I did as you asked, only I didn't get the choice of repairing windows live programs, I was advised to uninstall and then re-install the program

In that case it was probably a corrupted installation of Windows Live Messenger.

which I did - but sadly, I still cannot see their pictures!

OK try this please:-

Launch/start Windows Live Messenger >> Tools >> Options... >> Contacts

Under More settings >> ensure all four options are selected(ticked) >> if not click(select) >> Apply >> OK

Sign out of Windows Live Messenger and sign back in again.

Next:

If still a problem try the below link(just double click on it to open in your browser)

The Display Pictures of your Contacts are not shown in Windows Live Messenger

--------------

For interest sake I just checked if any problems with WLM and all appears fine:-

Messenger service status

The service is running normally

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

You're welcome and aye I'm sure it is...

Well I did as you asked, only I didn't get the choice of repairing windows live programs, I was advised to uninstall and then re-install the program

In that case it was probably a corrupted installation of Windows Live Messenger.

which I did - but sadly, I still cannot see their pictures!

OK try this please:-

Launch/start Windows Live Messenger >> Tools >> Options... >> Contacts

Under More settings >> ensure all four options are selected(ticked) >> if not click(select) >> Apply >> OK

Sign out of Windows Live Messenger and sign back in again.

Next:

If still a problem try the below link(just double click on it to open in your browser)

The Display Pictures of your Contacts are not shown in Windows Live Messenger

--------------

For interest sake I just checked if any problems with WLM and all appears fine:-

Messenger service status

The service is running normally

Thanks so very much, I did all, and nothing untoward happened, and then, in your final link, when I deleted the folder with my e-mail adress, everything worked again - so I guess soimething must have been corrupted in that LOL

Thanks very much again, I so appreciste your help

Ricky

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Pleased for you the issue has been resolved and you're most welcome! :)