Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot remove "Trojan horse PSW.Generic9.RDX"

• Please log in to reply

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts

but I couldn't back-up the D drive - I guess this to do with the next stage of the process.

Do you see your files now? Is there any error or something? You should be able to copy/paste your files from D drive if you see them.

Advertisements

me4ever3131

me4ever3131

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I can see the drives & folders after running "Find & Mount" - when I close my PC the D drives vanishes so I rerun "Find & Mount" to get it back.

I used Nortons Ghost 14.0 for my back-up - when I tried to back-up D it failed - I tried a couple of times with the same result. I also tried to define a new back-up for D but that also failed.

I'm currently trying to use "Allway Sync" to copy & paste the contents of the D drive.

I'll let you know what happens.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Can you Copy/Paste data to your other two drives? If you don't need everything you can save at least most valuable data. Take your time and let me know progress.

me4ever3131

me4ever3131

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Nortons still refuses to have anything to do with the D drive but Allway Sync was able to handle it.

All 3 drives are now backed up onto external HDDs.

thanks

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Good job :thumbsup: .

It's time to Initialize and Format your D drive. You will lose all your data on D drive after these two steps (one more warning :) ).

Please start Disk Management as you did last time
If Initialize and Convert wizard starts automatically click Cancle button to close it.
Under disk you will see your D drive as Unknown, Unallocated 149.05 GB HDD.
Make sure that all actions are performed on this disk
Right click Unknown label and select Initialize Disk option
Initialize and Convert wizard will pop up
Select Next button
Make sure your disk is selected and press OK button
Wizard will close and your disk will loose Unknown label

Now we need to make new partition:

Right click on Unallocated label and select New Partition...
On New Partition Wizard press Next button
Select Primary partition and press Next button
On Partition size it should be max. disk size 149.05 GB. Leave that and press Next.
Choose letter for your partition or leave it on automatic selection and press Next button
Format this partition as NTFS and change Volume label if you like then press Next
Click Finish to start formating your drive.
This process can take up to hour so please be patient

Now you have your disk back and you can access it under My Computer.

me4ever3131

me4ever3131

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for your time so far.

Unfortunately something went wrong during this process.

I followed the instructions & everything seemed to run smoothly. I got right down to the final instruction & started formatting.

I checked it at different times & it was up to 75% formatted & still running. I came back 15 minutes later to see the dialogue box "Formatting unsuccessful". There was no sign of the Unallocated disk. I ran Partition & Mount to see what that showed but that didn't even show the disk. I reran Disk Management but that only shows the one disk (C & E drives) I've rebooted & tried again but to no avail.

I've included a screen shot of the Partition & Mount and also Disk Management. I thought we were so close!

Attached Thumbnails

• Initialize&Format.jpg

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Please right click on Disk Management on the right and choose Rescan Disks. Can you see disk now?

me4ever3131

me4ever3131

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
My whole system just ground to a complete halt so I ran Task Manager to see what was happening & it was using 100% CPU.

I rebooted & opened Disk Management to see my D drive sitting there. I went into explorer & my D drive was visible but when I clicked on it, explorer said that it wasn't formatted (as expected). I have gone back to Disk Management & are currently formatting (or trying to) - it is currently sitting on 3%.

I'll let you know what happens.

If it formats OK can I copy my data back onto the drive?

thanks

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
If format goes OK then you can copy your data back BUT don't delete backup. Save it for some time if something goes wrong.

Let me know results.

me4ever3131

me4ever3131

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Tried to reformat using Disk Management but that again was not successful (see attached screenshot), so went & looked in explorer to see what that showed.

The D drive was visible so I clicked on it & the dialogue came up that it wasn't formatted & did I want to format it. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I clicked on format & after a while it came back as format successful (see attached screenshot).

I then copied a file from my C to D drives just as a further check & that worked OK. I will know start copying back from my external back-up.

re backed-up data - I have a routine of regular back-ups & archives so I never delete back-ups until the next one has finished. So if anything fails here I have two previous back-ups for my D drive that I can access.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Unsuccessful_Format1.jpg
  • Successful_Format.jpg

Advertisements

me4ever3131

me4ever3131

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm not sure what is going on but my D drive has disappeared again - this happened after I tried to copy files across from my external HDD - should I do a virus scan on that?

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Maybe infection is back. Let's see with these scans:

Step 1

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Step 2

Download Virus Removal Tool from Here to your desktop

Run the programme you have just downloaded to your desktop (it will be randomly named )

First we will run a virus scan

Click the cog in the upper right
Posted Image

Select down to and including your main drive, once done select the Automatic scan tab and press Start Scan
Posted Image

Allow Virus Removal Tool to delete all infections found
Once it has finished select report tab (last tab)
Select Detected threads report from the left and press Save button
Save it to your desktop and attach to your next post

Now the Analysis

Rerun Virus Removal Tool and select the Manual Disinfection tab and press Start Gathering System Information

Posted Image

On completion click the link to locate the zip file to upload and attach to your next post

Posted Image

Step 3

Please don't forget to include these items in your reply:

• Malwarebytes log
  • VRT scan log
  • avptool_sysinfo.zip log
It would be helpful if you could post each log in separate post

me4ever3131

me4ever3131

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I ran Malwarebytes without any problems - it picked up a few problems. The log is attached.

Tried to install the VRT but had problems. All my own anti virus etc stuff was disabled. The first time I'm tried to install it I got an error message - see attached jpg.

I rebooted & tried to install the VRT again. This time while the tool was being installed my PC suddenly flashed to a blue screen with a page full of writing then rebooted istelf. The blue screen lasted less than a second. I haven't tried another install.

Attached Thumbnails

• VRT Install failure.jpg

Attached Files

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
OK. Let's install the free Avast:

http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download

Once you have it installed and it has updated, right click on it and select Open Avast! User Interface then click on Scan Computer, then on
Boot-Time Scan then Schedule Now. Reboot and let it run a scan. It will take many hours (like overnight) and unfortunately you may need to check back with it once in a while to see if it needs an input from you. If the scan hangs that may indicate a hardware problem.

me4ever3131

me4ever3131

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK just downloaded AVAST & ran a Quick Scan - it found 1 threat Win32:Malware-gen which it moved to the chest.

I'm about to start the full scans as per your reply.

I've been thinking, if this cleans up any problems should I then unplug the D drive, then plug it back in & let Windows find & load as per new hardware?