Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firewall configuration help

• Please log in to reply

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi geeks,
I want to know the basic configuration that I have to set to a firewall on a PC. Anyone please let me know.
Thank you.

Edited by greenwarrior, 23 January 2012 - 02:36 AM.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
A third party firewall or the Windows Firewall?

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Godawgs,
Thank you for replying.
Im asking about a third party firewall.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello greenwarrior,

A good tutorial on firewalls can be found here

You will find the Firewalls recommended by GeeksToGo here. Scroll down to the FREE FIREWALLS heading.

If you're asking about a particular firewall, tell us what it is and someone who is experienced with that firewall will try to help you.

And remember, if the Windows firewall is on you must turn it off before you install a third party firewall.

Edited by godawgs, 24 January 2012 - 01:11 AM.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Godawgs,
Thank you for your reply.

I read that tutorial and another one on firewalls. I understood most of it but I just have one doubt.
Whats the difference between localhost(127.0.0.1) and internal IP?
Please tell me. I will be grateful to you.
And one more doubt generally I need to allow the localhost(127.0.0.1) in a firewall,right?
And one more question can you please tell me what a HOSTS file is?
Thank you.

Edited by greenwarrior, 24 January 2012 - 03:50 AM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Whats the difference between localhost(127.0.0.1) and internal IP?

None, The internal IP address of 127.0.0.1 is the machine you are using, or the localhost.

And one more doubt generally I need to allow the localhost(127.0.0.1) in a firewall,right?

The localhost does not send any out bound traffic to or receive any inbound traffic from the internet, so there is no reason to include the localhost address in the firewall.

And one more question can you please tell me what a HOSTS file is?

A good tutorial that describes the Hosts file and what it can do can be found here

Edited by godawgs, 24 January 2012 - 02:19 PM.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Godawgs,
Does a firewall hide my IP or hide my MAC address from websites? and also does it make me untrackable to websites? I am asking this because I dont want it to do this.
Thank you.

Edited by greenwarrior, 24 January 2012 - 08:57 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
A third party firewall is designed to allow only the outbound traffic to or inbound traffic from the internet that you give it permission to allow. Below is a link to Gibson Research Corp's Shields Up page. Below the test section are links to more information about firewall/ internet security. Number 7 Personal Firewalls and number 11 Frequently Asked Questions are a good place to start. GRC has tons of information about securing your internet connection.

Link to Gibson Research Corp.