Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Loading Network Card and Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Jennifer2

Jennifer2

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am going through the wired home network OS set up on my computers. I have run into a yellow ! on my laptop that runs on OP Windows Vista. Can you please help me with this?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello Jennifer,

Can you give a little more information on the error in question? Also what it is you would like to achieve?

Jennifer2

Jennifer2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
My main goal when I started was to network 4 computers in my house. I started by going through this, http://www.geekstogo...erfile-sharing/ but, it wasn't working for. Some of the steps were different from my computer so I quit. And when I ran into the yellow exclamation mark the directions said to leave a post here. So my initial goal was to have my computers networked and able to use my printer. Here is the info if you want to help me with that.

My laptop is used wirelessly but can be hard wired and it runs on Windows Vista. The other 3 computers are desktops and are hard wired into a router. Two run on Windows XP and one is on Windows 7. I have tried to network them but have failed. To be honest I don't know what I am doing. So if you don't mind I want to be able to access every file from all computers and I really need to use the printer from each computer.

Now when I was running through the network OS set up from these boards I had to stop when in the device manager I found a yellow exclamation mark under network adapters beside Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface. (This warning is on my lap top) Not sure if that warning really matters with what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thank you for your time,

Jennifer

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi Jennifer,

The link appears to be missing a bit in the middle and wont open for me. All the same, I'll try talking you through connecting your PC's together...

1. (WIN7 PC) Right click the "Computer" button in the start menu and select properties.
2. Click "Advanced system settings". When the pop up box opens, click the "Computer Name" tab. Write down what you have for "Full computer name" and "Workgroup".
3. Close all the above and open "Network and Sharing Center" in the control panel. Once open click (on the left) "Change advanced sharing settings".
4. Under you r current profile, make sure that "network discovery", "file and printer sharing" and "Turn on sharing so ...." are all set to on. While you are there, set password protected sharing to off (don't worry you can turn it on later)
5. Open your network (start menu -> network)

Can you see your XP machines? If you can let me know and we will tackle the other side of the equation.

Jennifer2

Jennifer2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes I can see them.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

OK, lets tackle the rest...

1. On the Windows 7 PC, open the "Network" found in the start menu and double click on the PC icon for your computer.
2. Open the "users" folder so you can see your shares.
3. On your XP PC, open up "My Network Places", can you see the share on the Win 7 PC?

If you can see the shares, then that would cover the networking part. With regards to the printer, which PC will that be installed on?

Jennifer2

Jennifer2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I can see all the computer icons and names from each computer I can't view any files or anything. I don't know if that makes sense. I am on my xp but when I click on my sons computer icon (windows 7) I can't get into it.

The printer is installed on this computer, windows xp.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi Jennifer,

It's been a while since I shared a printer on XP, so I searched for the steps online and found a fantastic article that goes in to what you are trying to set up and covers the printer side of things...

Sharing

Have a read, if you get stuck, let me know.