Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

intermitent buzzing from speakers

• Please log in to reply

loki16

loki16

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
i'm getting intermittent buzzing from my pc speakers. it's independent of volume level and if the speakers are on, it's always there. constant in the L/H channel and like morse code in the R/H channel.

it's not the speakers.

is this a negative feedback loop (all hardware is connected to the same electrical circuit) and is there a solution?

it's annoying...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi loki16
How have you determined it is not the speakers please.
Please provide your speaker details and whether you are using an add on audio card or the MBs integrated audio chip.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
i have tried 2 different sets of speakers and the problem is identical.

i'm using the audio card that came with the pc (a dell optiplex 745 running XP).

current speakers are a mid-price pair of logitechs, previous speakers were much the same (except 2.1) but 5 years older.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Your audio device is an ADI 1983 High Definition Audio
Check your Device Manager to see if there are any yellow ! marks.
The interference may be the audio chip failing, static build up or wireless interference.
Do you have any wireless devices near by or had you added anything new to the PC previous to this starting.
Try an add on PCI or USB audio device if you can borrow one.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Have checked and there are no outstanding controllers to install (no yellow !s).

Wireless devices- yes the wifi modem sits pretty much on top of the tower. I've tried moving it as far away as the cables allow but no noticeable difference. There are no other wireless devices close by.

Anything new on PC? No.

One additional bit of info; the buzzing takes a few minutes to start after booting up. ie, the first few minutes there's no buzzing.

I'm not sure I follow you re trying out a PCI/USB audio device. can you expand?

Thx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

One additional bit of info; the buzzing takes a few minutes to start after booting up. ie, the first few minutes there's no buzzing.

Possibly caused by a build up of static charge in the system, when if ever was the last time the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust?

I'm not sure I follow you re trying out a PCI/USB audio device. can you expand?

Example PCI add on sound card http://uk.store.crea...se/1-14257.aspx
Example USB sound device http://www.amazon.co...stp_s2_edpp_url

I know this is a nuisance but can you try powering the PC from an alternative wall socket!
Just so you are aware, if the issue turns out to be caused by your PSU ( power supply unit ) you may have problems getting a replacement as some Dell PCs have smaller PSUs and different cable connectors, especially on their SFF ( small form factor ) types.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
tried everything and even getting the same buzzing when using a laptop. unplugged all periferals, wifi, etc.

just dawned on me that it might just be the cordless telephone and sure enough...

Gah!

thanks phillpower2. the problem was you were dealing with a dope.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Thanks for the update loki16, I am pleased to hear that you got it sorted, thanks also for letting us know how the issue was resolved as it may help others in the future :thumbsup: