Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

restore compaq presariocq62 "grub rescue"?

• Please log in to reply

trudysmay

trudysmay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Compaq Presario CQ62 that I am trying to load with Windows XP Professional for restored computers. The system was wiped clean by the local computer tech (aka cable tv guy). when I power it up, it says error: unknown filesystem
<grub rescue>

What does this mean? How do I load this disc? HELP! I am not that computer savvy!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
What is Windows XP Professional for restored computers?

I've never heard of it before.

Where did you get it? Is it a recovery disc from a manufacturer like Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc?

When do you get this message? When you boot the disc or when you boot the hard drive?

You need either a XP install CD or a manufacturers recover CD to load XP on your hard drive.

trudysmay

trudysmay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry, my bad. It is for refurbished pc's, not restored. It is a disc that a friend got with his laptop he got for Christmas. This is the message I get when I turn the laptop on. It doesn't change when I put the disc in the drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You need to boot the CD. To do this you either press a key at boot or you have to go into BIOS Setup and change the boot order so the CD drive is the first boot device.

I think you press the Esc key when you boot to do this.