Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics card Problem

• Please log in to reply

Caleb S.

Caleb S.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok everyone i have Windows 7 ult. (sp1) 64 bit on my computer and i have a nvidia geforce gt520 graphics card. Well i went and redone my computer to 64 bit version of windows because i got all the requirements for it but now my video card will not work windows keep turning it off except it works in safemode. i reinstalled windows 7 32 bit and im still having the same error. i contact the geforce.com support and they can not help me so i was wondering if anyone on her can help me.

the error i get in device manager is Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) (also windows do see my card being there and i have done the drivers both from Microsoft and from geforce/nvidia )

there is no troubleshoot button to click on like microsoft website said there is

Also i have 7 gigs of ram my processor is a AMD Phenom™ 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Edited by Caleb S., 24 January 2012 - 11:15 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
And everything was working perfectly fine before you migrated to 64-bit?

Also, 7Gb is an unusual amount of RAM. What motherboard do you have and how is this RAM configured?

The fact it works in Safe Mode but not normal mode would suggest a driver issue. I would download the latest driver from the card maker's site.

Caleb S.

Caleb S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes everything worked right and its a 1 gig ram on the video card and 7 gigs of system ram and what do u mean by how is this RAM configured?
i have downloaded the drivers several times from there site.

if it helps i have 3 sticks of 2 gb of ram and onestick of 1 gb of ram (all are ddr2)

my motherboard is a
ALiveXFire-eSATA2 R3.0

Edited by Caleb S., 25 January 2012 - 11:00 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

what do u mean by how is this RAM configured?

You answered with,

if it helps i have 3 sticks of 2 gb of ram and onestick of 1 gb of ram (all are ddr2)

According to the specs for your motherboard here, that motherboard supports dual-channel memory architecture. That means you achieve much better (almost double) RAM performance when you install your RAM in a dual-channel configuration, and that requires your RAM to be installed in matched "pairs". Not 3 of one kind and 1 of another. If all your RAM is compatible, your setup should not be messing with your graphics solution, but you may actually do better with just 2 x 2Gb in the correct pair of slots.

I would verify your power connections are still tight and secure. Also check this: this.

Caleb S.

Caleb S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it is compatible but for some reason my motherboard will not read the video card properly unless i use windows 7 32 bit.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I don't know what is happening here. I can only guess it has something to do with memory mapping in 64-bit mode. If me, I would run with just the 2 2Gb sticks and see what happens.