Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot do anything with XP

• Please log in to reply

globaljoe

globaljoe

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
A pal of mine has brought over to me a Dell desktop, precision 390 running XP Pro, apparently it has been running just fine for a long time, until now.
Apparently she was running a scan using Kaspersky 2012 and the fan started to run at an ever increasing speed and got very noisy and the CPU usage went up to 100%. So, when I checked it out I switch on I get to the XP screen showing two user accounts, if I click on account 1. using direction keys on keyboard, I get an error message saying "child not found, resources flux/topbar". I press the return key again and get "error parsing (wrong type or incorrect parameter: property, windrag.
I press return again and get "no parent property windrag". So I tried to log on using the second account which I get into without any problem everything seems normal until I try to do something, the usb mouse was not responding, I try it in all of the usb sockets, none of them work.
I tried to start up in safe mode, only now the system fan starts to pick up speed fast, and starts getting very noisy, I hit the off switch before the fan heads off for the stratosphere.
I booted to Ubuntu linux from the CD drive, everything ran fine, including the mouse, all usb ports working, so it is obviously a Windows problem. I'm wondering if there is any way I can get around this without re-installation as the owner does not have the original disk.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please download ARCDC.exe from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. ..pick The Windows version of the system you need it for
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files if you want...not sure then you don't need any
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso
burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its XPRC
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

once you have burned boot into it and select repair...guide is here

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks Happyrock, this is going to come in very handy!
Thanks again for your time.
globaljoe.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...be sure to post back here and let us know...
for the future if you have a user account that is borked and you do have a admin account that works...delete the junk account but when it asks if you want to delete the files...say no
you can then create a new user account...take ownership of the data and get the data moved to the new account