Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Decent Gaming Desktop Build Advice

• Please log in to reply

alphaone14

alphaone14

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, I'm just going to go straight to the point.
I am building a decent gaming desktop.
Here is what I got in mind so far:

Case: Fractal Design R3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard - Intel LGA1155 - Intel Z68 Chipset
CPU: Intel i7 2600 LGA115 3.4GHz (Turbo Boost @ 3.8GHz)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 7200rpm - Buffer 64MB
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card
PowerSupply: Corsair TX-750 V2 750W

I am not a desktop building expert and so I was wondering,
is everything in this build compatible with each other?
And would the CPU be able to be over-clocked?
If so, how much do you think/calculate it would be bumped up to.
Thank you for all those who reply. :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Hi alphaone and :welcome:

The key compatibility issue involves ensuring the CPU and RAM are compatible with the motherboard. To ensure that, check the motherboard's website for a list of compatible CPUs and RAM. You must buy a CPU from the list, but there are too many RAM makers and models for motherboard makers to test them all, so you must buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM.

I don't see an operating system listed. Understand only full a "boxed" Retail license can be transferred to a new computer (or upgraded motherboard). It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for another computer on a new computer. If the disk says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". If that is the case, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives. Just ensure it is 64-bit since you have selected 8Gb of RAM.