Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build, advice needed please!

• Please log in to reply

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Thank you for the reply....it's much appreciated, like always. I do read the feedback, and it can drive you nuts sometimes, because it is subjective,but I agree.....it does help. O.k.....in your opinion, would you say that card is in the same "category" as the other one, as far as performance and whatnot? The only reason I ask that is, it sounds like the other card wasn't overkill for my needs, and exceeded my needs a little, which isn't a bad thing. So I guess what I'm asking is, is this card similar in that respect?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That RAM is 1.65v, different heat spreaders, should work if it has exactly the same specs as on the QVL. AS I said in post #13, "do not count on mail in rebates, etc."
"Otimized for AMD" and "selected with gaming ind mind" is just marketing speak, means squat.

IMO a better card and has a 3 year warranty as opposed to a 2 year warranty

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121435

Similar to the last 550 so the 6850 still performs better.

I did suggest lowering the specs to get closer to your budget but you were quite adamant in sticking to what was on your list

Are you now aiming to cut the cost?

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

That RAM is 1.65v, different heat spreaders, should work if it has exactly the same specs as on the QVL. AS I said in post #13, "do not count on mail in rebates, etc."
"Otimized for AMD" and "selected with gaming ind mind" is just marketing speak, means squat.

IMO a better card and has a 3 year warranty as opposed to a 2 year warranty

Similar to the last 550 so the 6850 still performs better.

I did suggest lowering the specs to get closer to your budget but you were quite adamant in sticking to what was on your list

Are you now aiming to cut the cost?

phillpower2 posted the link to that card after reading about my friend and his preference to NVIDEA, and his not liking that "catalyst" software. The one my friend suggested was a step down in specs, and you said the 6850 is a better card. That being said, the one phillpower2 linked too I assumed was in the same ballpark as the 6850, and it is slightly cheaper, but not much. So, if I see a comparable, and just as reliable card, and can save $10, I'll do it. Same with all the components. I got an email today from Newegg and they have this RAM
http://www.newegg.co..._-20145324-L03A
on sale for 27.99 after the rebate, but the guy at Corsair said I'd still be better off with the Vengeance series that I have on my list, as it is lower voltage, and will work better on my motherboard, run cooler, last longer, etc., so I figured what the [bleep], don't need to save $20 there.

So that should give you an idea of what I will try to save on. Some stuff is the same price at Amazon, but there is no sales tax. Every little bit helps. I'm not trying to "cut the cost" and try and get it under $800......it seems like doing that will be sacrificing more than maybe I'd care to sacrifice. Yes, I was adamant about that.....that was from knowing and trusting my friend(not saying her word is gospel)....and she is pushing for me to not step down in performance on the GPU or CPU. I see now that maybe I could, but I'd be good with having more than I need too. You can dissect this thing until the cows come home, as I'm learning the last few days. It's looking right now that I'll still be in the $800-$1000 range, but probably closer to $800+. I've decided to go with the Seagate HDD after all too. I have a friend that is giving me the OS free....all legal too. So it's been jumping around a bit. I'm just trying to decide on the case and GPU basically. Both of those have good promotions and rebates that end tonight at midnight, in case I choose one of those. Maybe I'm splitting hairs now,I don't know.

Is the NVIDEA phillpower2 linked to way lower in performance than the 6850? I don't know this stuff, so I'm trusting opinions, based on my needs. Would I notice the difference in performance if I went with the NVIDEA phillpower2 linked to?

I am counting on the mail in rebates, because I've never sent in a rebate from that I haven't got a check for.....ever.:)
I'm not basing a purchase solely on the fact that it has a rebate, but if something I'm considering getting has a rebate, and it will work fine for me, I'll consider that along with everything else.

Edited by Jim45, 31 January 2012 - 05:11 PM.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

That RAM is 1.65v, different heat spreaders, should work if it has exactly the same specs as on the QVL.

The guy at Corsair said he wouldn't recommend using anything higher than 1.5 volts on my motherboard, making the Vengeance series the better choice, according to him. Neither of them was on the motherboard supported memory list, and the guy at corsair said they both work on that motherboard, so go figure. Just telling you what tech support at Corsair said.

Edited by Jim45, 31 January 2012 - 05:15 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Is the NVIDEA phillpower2 linked to way lower in performance than the 6850? I don't know this stuff, so I'm trusting opinions, based on my needs. Would I notice the difference in performance if I went with the NVIDEA phillpower2 linked to?

This is the card, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130625, not much lower down the scale on the link I gave to Passmark. For your requirements, you should not notice any discernible difference, the same would go for any branded 550 ti card.

Neither of them was on the motherboard supported memory list, and the guy at corsair said they both work on that motherboard, so go figure. Just telling you what tech support at Corsair said.

Not every RAM produced can be tested so not every RAM is on the QVL. And the relevant part of post #43, "

should work if it has exactly the same specs as on the QVL."

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I considered suggesting http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130625 but again only a 2yr warranty, as the OP said I suggested a viable alternative and as he doesn`t play games the dip in any performance is by far outweighed by the 12 months longer warranty the ASUS card has.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

This is the card, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130625, not much lower down the scale on the link I gave to Passmark. For your requirements, you should not notice any discernible difference, the same would go for any branded 550 ti card.

No, this is the card phillpower2 linked me to
That link is the one my friend in Chicago suggested.
Of the two, would you agree with phillpower that I'm better off with the ASUS card, since it is another year on the warranty. Or is one brand better than the other? Or should I simply stay with the Sapphire, even being a little overkill? They're all neck and neck as far as price.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Not every RAM produced can be tested so not every RAM is on the QVL.

Hence my friend saying the QVL doesn't mean squat. The guy at Corsair said he agreed with that, to a degree. He said a lot of people firmly believe that if it isn't on the list, it won't work, but, as you said as well, it just menas it hasn't been tested. I'm sure that's the context my friend meant it too......I wasn't trying to take sides in that part of the discussion.

And, just to clarify......I do know that you were trying to refine the list to my budget and my needs, so I guess I'm trying to meet somewhere in the middle, between you trying to keep specs(and cost) down, and my friend who leans towards going a little overkill. I think her attitude is to be ready for what comes down the pipes next.....something like that. I think I realized shortly after my first post here, that I probably wasn't building a decent computer for $700, but it looks like it will stay between $800 and $900. Getting the OS thrown at me was sure a pleasant surprise from my Chicago friend. That made the decision to go with that Seagate HDD a little easier. Do you still think that is a good way to go?

Edited by Jim45, 31 January 2012 - 08:58 PM.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Also.....if it was you, which of the 3 cards in question would you choose, if you had the same needs as me, chipset maker and performance in mind?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK. picked up the wrong link. If they are all neck and neck, stay with the Sapphire,

That made the decision to go with that Seagate HDD a little easier. Do you still think that is a good way to go.

Yes, it will save you messing about later IF you decided the Hitachi was not good enough. Also IF you decide to add a storage HHD you just have to install it, and you are finished.

Advertisements

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
O.k......haven't pulled the trigger just yet on the Sapphire, but on the ASUS, there are two that are almost identical, with slightly different model numbers

and this one(even though it's out of stock.....Amazon has both)
http://www.newegg.co...82E16814121434R

and the only difference I see, along with the $20 price difference, is that the first one says
Core clock - 910MHz
Shader clock - 1820MHz

and the second one says
Core clock - 975MHz
Shader clock - 1950MHz

what does that mean, in simple terms.....anything I'd care about, or notice?

Edited by Jim45, 01 February 2012 - 12:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Just to clarify the Sapphire is a better card than the ASUS I suggested, it is 256-bit and the performance chart that iammyky provided shows the card to be better, however you asked about an Nvidea card and the one I suggested more than suits your requirements, is less expensive + it has the additional 12 months warranty over the Sapphire.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Just to clarify the Sapphire is a better card than the ASUS I suggested, it is 256-bit and the performance chart that iammyky provided shows the card to be better, however you asked about an Nvidea card and the one I suggested more than suits your requirements, is less expensive + it has the additional 12 months warranty over the Sapphire.

Yes, I understand......and that's what makes it harder to pull the trigger. It's $10 cheaper than the Sapphire, with the extra warranty. Part of me still wonders if it isn't smart to still get the better performer, event though the performance difference is something I may never notice. AMD and NVIDEA are both reputable companies too.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

what does that mean, in simple terms.....anything I'd care about, or notice?

This info gives a fairly simple explanation. Do't worry it says gaming, it's about performance = what you see on the monitor.

http://www.diy-gamin...ard-basics.html
http://www.diy-gamin...video-card.html

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
So, the better performer is usually the better choice, in a case where the price difference isn't significant, and both are reputable brands/chipsets.