Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek RTL8185 troubles with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Vette7

Vette7

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello.

For the past week I've been trying my best to install Realtek's RTL8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Network Interface Controller. The problem I'm having is that I can't find a driver that works well for Windows 7. I let Windows install the driver automatically after I put the card in, but the performance was very poor. I tried installing the drivers from the Realtek website via the Windows "Add Hardware" tool, but they refuse to install. However, the drivers that the Realtek RTL8185 Wireless LAN Utility installed did work, but again the performance was very poor.

When I first got the card I had this same issue, and wound up installing the Windows XP drivers for it. They worked perfectly! However a recent fluke with Windows 7 has forced me to re-install the drivers.

Is there anyone that can help me with this? I desperately need :help:

Thank you! :)

Advertisements

Vette7

Vette7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Bump. I hope that someone can help me :(

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

As I don't know your network architecture, I can't give specific advise. However, I you could use SGOptimizer which will let you adjust and tweak your adapter safely.

Back up your settings before you use it just to be safe.

Vette7

Vette7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hello,

As I don't know your network architecture, I can't give specific advise. However, I you could use SGOptimizer which will let you adjust and tweak your adapter safely.

Back up your settings before you use it just to be safe.

Thank you for the reply. How can I find out what architecture I have? Also, I've used the SGOptimizer, but have seen no results :(

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
When I said architecture, I meant your setup for example, my set up is...

PC/Laptop -> (via cable) Router/Modem -> Internet.

If SGO didn't fix your problem, it would indicate that you do have a fault with your drivers.

When I'm fixing PC's I have found the best way to fix network cards is to uninstall them in the device manager and then restart. Windows then automatically will install standard network drivers to get the device working; once it's running, I use windows update which updates the drivers to the latest for the OS (in most cases)

Can you try that?

Vette7

Vette7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

When I said architecture, I meant your setup for example, my set up is...

PC/Laptop -> (via cable) Router/Modem -> Internet.

If SGO didn't fix your problem, it would indicate that you do have a fault with your drivers.

When I'm fixing PC's I have found the best way to fix network cards is to uninstall them in the device manager and then restart. Windows then automatically will install standard network drivers to get the device working; once it's running, I use windows update which updates the drivers to the latest for the OS (in most cases)

Can you try that?

Ah I see. Well in that case it would be PC/Desktop > (wireless) Router > Modem > Internet (Comcast).

I have already tried that actually. After uninstalling it from the device manager, rebooting, and letting Windows install it's own choice of drivers for the card, I run Windows Update. But to no avail, the performance of those drivers is as bad, if not worse than the drivers from Realtek.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Do you have another adapter you could use, such as a small wireless USB?

I'm thinking that this may be more PC related than driver related.

Vette7

Vette7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hello,

Do you have another adapter you could use, such as a small wireless USB?

I'm thinking that this may be more PC related than driver related.

I sure do actually. I used that while we tried to figure out what was wrong with my card. But I'm glad to say that doesn't matter anymore. While playing around with various drivers today, I was able to get the Windows XP x64 driver installed again! It was tricky that's for sure. I'm going to post the steps I took to resolve this, and describe it in as much detail as I can to help those with this problem in the future.

-Uninstall the current driver, and restart your computer letting Windows install it's own driver for your device.

-Open your web browser and go to the Realtek Software: Drivers & Utilities page located here.

-Download the file titled Windows XP(32bit/64bit)/2K Driver Only.

-Un-zip the folder to a location you can easily find (such as your Desktop).

-Open Device Manager located in the Control Panel.

-Right-click on your card and select Update Driver > Browse my computer > Let me pick from a list and then select the box that says Have Disk...

-Navigate to the folder you un-zipped, chose between the two folders based on your architecture, and if prompted to select the required .inf file.

DONE!

*It is very important that you chose Update Driver rather than attempt to "Add Legacy Hardware" (that is what I was doing wrong.)

Vette7

Vette7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thank you so much for your help risingphoenix in narrowing this problem down :D

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

No problem, and thank you for sharing your solution.