Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Smitfraud -C Generic

• Please log in to reply

Seran

Seran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Those little icons showed up on my desktop again. The ones that say desktop.ini or whatever. How do I get rid of those?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,799 posts
  • MVP
# Open the Control Panel menu and click Folder Options.
# After the new window appears select the View tab.
# Remove the check in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
# Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Do not Show hidden files and folders.
# Check the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
# Press the Apply button and then the OK button and exit My Computer.

Seran

Seran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. Just have one more question... any idea on which Antimalware, AntiVirus, firewall or whatever security is the best to use these days? Something that no matter what I download that security will find the virus for me? Or is that just not possible?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,799 posts
  • MVP
When you download files, before you install or run them you should submit the file to http://www.virustotal.com and see what they think of it. That way you get an opinion from all of the major anti-virus companies. It is also very important to keep your java and adobe software up to date. That's why I recommend FileHippo's update checker. If you have problems with it then try Secunia PSI which does the same thing. http://secunia.com/v...nning/personal/

Avast is what I run on my systems. So far haven't had any problems. For the truly paranoid I also recommend Online Armor. http://www.online-ar...n-software.html This is a free firewall which is much improved over Windows but seems to be much smarter than Zone Alarm or Comodo so is less trouble. You can also add the No Script add-on to Firefox. This will keep strange websites you visit from running scripts of any kind (you have to allow a website you trust to run scripts so it is more work for you but it will remember which sites you trust so you only have to do it the first time you visit a site.)

If you want to pay for an anti-virus then look into Kaspersky or Bitdefender. Both very highly rated in most tests. Stay away from McAfee which seems a waste of money. Norton/Symantec may be fairly highly rated but you pay a big performance penalty as it is a resource hog.