Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locking Down a Windows 7 Laptop completely...How?

• Please log in to reply

DryRiver

DryRiver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm about to move some algorithm development from my (secure) desktop PC to a Windows 7 Laptop.

In order to keep my algorithms secure (against hacking/theft) I need to disable ALL wireless connectivity on the Laptop.

There are more than 6 different Wireless LANs "in the air" where I do my work, belonging to differnt users and companies, and I want the development Laptop to not connect to any of them under any circumstances.

Put more simply:

1) How can I permanently disable/remove/break ALL wireless connectivity of the laptop under Windows 7?

2) Both Bluetooth & WiFi and any other possible wireless connectivity need to be completely disabled.

3) Is there a software tool that specifically does this? (Disabling all network connections reliably).

4) Can this be done at hardware level at all (BIOS settings).

Thanks in advance for any help,

DryRiver

Advertisements

DryRiver

DryRiver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Nobody knows how to do this? Surely there must be some way, some software or tool for removing wireless connections completely in Windows 7?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you would have to do it at the hardware level...on some laptops its easy to do...on others you risk screwing up the mobo...

DryRiver

DryRiver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Isn't there are way to do this with software instead? I don't know which laptop I will buy yet, and whether the BIOS will have an option to shut the wireless chipset down.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

and whether the BIOS will have an option to shut the wireless chipset down.

most do...but the you will have to password protect the bios and set the boot order so that only has the hard drive...no usb or cd

DryRiver

DryRiver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

and whether the BIOS will have an option to shut the wireless chipset down.

most do...but the you will have to password protect the bios and set the boot order so that only has the hard drive...no usb or cd

Ok, thanks, I'll try that. But isn't there also a software option to remove wireless from Win 7?

If there is, it would be most helpful.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
none that I am aware of...