Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows\system32\config\system problem

• Please log in to reply

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi ,
I have a problem with my dell Insprion 510 laptop.

It uses Windows XP and a few days ago came up with a error
saying the Windows\System32\config\system file was either missing or corrupted.

I have tried to do some research and found some useful information..

BUT I have a few options and I am not sure which is my best one.

I DONT have a Full Windows XP software CD Disc..

I suspect ideally I could do with trying to take a copy of my
Hard drive Disc in case anything should happen..Unfortunately I did not do this earlier on...I should have..

SO I am unsure if I can just use a boot disc to try and resolve my problem..or if I will need a full windows xp disc.

I have found this website that offers some good information
if my bootdisc wont resolve it alone.

http://www.icompute...._from_xp_cd.htm

http://www.icompute....onfigsystem.htm

I also found this previous thread on gogeek that has some good information on it and MAY be an alternative solution..

http://www.geekstogo...ing-or-corrupt/

Any advise greatly appreicated.

Thank you

Dowsp

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go with this here

it has the instructions at the bottom (if you don't have Windows CD, scroll down)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly I have edited your post to remove the link to Hirens.

That download contains unlicensed software and as such in accordance with our Terms of Use we do not recommend the program or support its use.
Therefore no help or advice can be given regarding the solution to your problem using that program..
I trust you will understand our stance on this, but of course, although we cannot assist in that regard, the decision to proceed, along those lines is a matter for you.

If you wish to continue with other possible solutions, then we are of course more than ready to help.

Your first approach if you have not already done so is to use the F8 key and i the boot options screen, try Last Known Good Configuration.
I do not expect it will work but it is worthy of trying.

If that is not successful you need to boot the computer with a CD allowing you access to the recovery console
If you do not have such a CD, which does include some of the OEM Cd`s such as provided with a Dell, HP etc., then you can download an ISO image and burn it using the links I have provided.
You then boot the computer from that CD and run a chkdsk using the command in the Recovery Console at the C:\ prompt
chkdsk /r

After that has completed and if not successful
(it is unlikely it will fix this problem - but worthy of a try) then continue as indicated in the link provided by happrock please

NOTE PLEASE
The post by my colleague happyrock was not visible to me whilst I was typing the reply, and editing your post.
Those are the links I was going to provide you with.
Either my colleague or I, or both of us will continue to assist you.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi

Thks for your replys

I can access the recovery consolde just by pressing F8 or F12

and it shows C:\WINDOWS

but it asks which windows installation would I like to log onto

So I am not sure what I do from here.I dont seem to be able to see how I find
Last Known Good Configuration. can you explain how I do this or what command I need to write to find it..i assume a dos command after the C:\windows ...do i need to use chkdsk to get to this ?

The Boot Cd I have ...I was able to get my computer to boot up at the CD rom and access the disc.. and I can enter in DOS commands..

I am still unsure if I need a FULL Copy of Windows XP or if a Boot disc will do the job.

Im using an old computer and I am not sure if I can download a full copy of windows XP

or burn a disc..

I can acess CHKDSK I think both with or with CD..

BUT mostly I am being advised that I ne to acess by use of some sort of CD be it full or boot disc.

thk you
dowsp

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

BUT mostly I am being advised that I ne to acess by use of some sort of CD be it full or boot disc.

I am a little unsure as to if you mean HERE on GeekstoGo or on some suggested solutions you have found on the web.

May I suggest, that it is best if you confine yourself to the help offered here, until and if we reach the stage where we cannot offer you a solution.

On the F8 key you should see the boot options of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, VGA mode etc and one ofthese should be the Last Known Good - that is the one to try the others will not work in this situation.

If that does not work, you then go back to F8 and you select that C:\Windows> installation which is usually by selecting the number 1. where it asks which Windows installation you wish to repair.
(That guide is on the link that my colleague sent you.)
Having done that you then key at that prompt
CD /
and that will take you to a C prompt only
You then key
chkdsk /r
and when that has completed you TRY and boot Windows normally.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Thank you for your explanation , I will try it..

I was referring to other material that I had read on other websites etc...I dont think
any so far was referring to geektogos posts...

One concern I have however is again I was advised about when trying to access restore points....NOT to use the very last one, but to use the one before...

I was told that this was a safer bet of avoiding loosing any data or files.

I am not sure IF once you try something if you can end up losing files or if you can try again if you do select a wrong option...

IF you confirm that I wont loose my last settings / last updated files etc then I
will try it..

Yes I can now see when I press F8 that it shows safemode etc and Lask Known good configuration.

I Hope that this will work .as it will be the quickest easiest option.

Many thanks

Dowsp

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

IF you confirm that I wont loose my last settings / last updated files etc then I
will try it..

chkdsk /r
is completely unrelated to restore points, it simply checks the disk for file errors and bad sectors, which if it finds any, it then attempts repair.

Post back please when you have tried the LKG and the chkdsk

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi MBM..

Im Not sure if Last Known good config ( L .K. G. C) is the same as a last retore point..

I thought that it may had been...so if this was the case and It is wise to select the last restore point...and select the one before...then it may not be wise to just select the Last Known config..

One other thought or suggestion was to also TRY and create a COPY of my hard drive Before I try and make any changes.. incase something does go wrong..

IS there any way that I can do this Before I try the other options ..?

IF this is possible Id prefer to play safe and make a copy first...

Unless one is 100% certain that trying L K G C ...wont loose any data or or
make any changes that may not be reversable if needed..

thk you

Dowsp

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not wish to be awkward in any way.
I would not suggest anything that will in any way place your system or your data at risk.
Without telling you.
That said, there is always a VERY slight risk, as with any procedure where you cannot now load windows.

Either you will have to trust me, or you will have to look elsewhere for the help.

LKG is NOT a restore point in that you will NOT if it works lose any data. It is the simply the system configuration from the time it last booted successfully.
With respect by NOW you could have tried THAT and the chkdsk /r.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
I tried selecting the Last Know Good Confi...

and It just did exactly the esame as selectingreturn to OS choices menu that is at the bottom of that same F8 page..

where you select the operating system..

either
Microsoft Windows XP Home edition

OR

Microsoft Windows recovery Console..

The ONLY difference that I can see is that when you press L.K.G.Caand it takes you to the please select operating system...is that it says that..ie L.K.G.C message at the bottom of the page in Blue..

I ASSUME that I then have to select the Microsoft windows recovery Consolde option..

OR IF Not and I select Microsoft windows XP Home page...then MAYBE this could restart it as normal...

I dont really Know for sure....I Just tried this option and it made No diffeence..
I still get the Windows\system32\confi\sys missing or corrupt message..

SO I assume I need to use the Microsoft Windows recovery Console..optiomn..

I dont really see why they bother to include this if its the same as just taking me to
the same reovery console page..

Using your Colleagues link... mainly suggests that I need a disc of some sort or to make a copy of one...

As I have now selected reovery console... I am not sure if I can just enter
the CDKDSK/r after C:|WINDOWS..

I Tried this..but it has not been recognised....

I am NOT sure if I can do this purely by getting into DOS ... is it the same thing or not ?

I susepct Ive either got to follow your associates instructions in full using the discs or chance trying other methods.

Unfortunately It has not resolved it by just trying to ask it to find the last known good confi.. which I was hoping would be a very quick simple solution.. UNLES I have missed something or not done the corect proceduure... it seems to want to take you to recovery console and enter some Dos type of commands...

Thk you

Dowsp

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As I said I did not expect LKG to work but it was worth the try.

Go to the recovery console, there is no need for you to make any CD that is for people who do not have the recovery console acess or the XP CD to access the console

Select the installation as previously explained and then at the C prompt type the cmd I gave you - that is chkdsk (space) /r
the space is not typed. Key enter.
Allow it to complete. It may take sometime, it is a five stage check.
When it completes, if the computer reboots see if it will start windows normally.
If it stays on the RC screen note any message and post details

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi MBM

I didnt realise that there was a space between chkdsk/r

I just tried again and at the moment it seems to be perorming a check.. and its presntly at 50%

I was not sure how you should write the command after C:\WINDOWS

as the curser after C:|WINDOWS is at the BOTTOM right hand side of the last letter..

I idnt know if I should Just write CHKDSK /r or C:|CHKDSK /r

or if it can be upper or lower case or any..

I have just wrote it in lower case as chkdsk /r and so far it seems to be working..

but its seems slow...only at 53 % as I finish this message..

Thks

Dowsp

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Oh ... and thanks for explaining that I do NOT need a cd disk to restore the computer..

or that my computer has a recovery console built in it....

IF the restore doesnt work, though Im not sure if I may need a FULL Windows XP CD Disc..

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
I did get a reply from that Boot CD that I bought...

He ofered instruction what to do.. I had a look, but It didnt seem to
work...

It did find what I think was a restore file but it wouldnt
open it...

It did open a selection of files and programmes that looks
quite good and you would think it may work well..
but it has nots not solved it..

I just hope that the recovery console works.

Edited by dowsp, 26 January 2012 - 03:41 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It would be a lot easier for both of us if you just took your time and followed my advice.

it does not matter if you type in upper case or lower case the cmd is not case sensitive.
if you type in lower case, as per my examples then the / cmd is automatic as that is lower case.
If you type in upper case and forget to take of the shift key or the caps lock you do not get
chkdsk /r
you get chkdsk ?r

that is the reason it is easier to type lower case.
If you had followed my advice CAREFULLY you would not have any doubt., there was clearly a space between chkdsk and the /r

I fully appreciate how difficult this is for you, with the extra stress of the system not booting. HOWEVER if that chkdsk does not work the next set of commands are even more involved and complex and it is VITAL that you take your time and follow the procedure exactly