Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Phone 4 query / problem

• Please log in to reply

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi,

I bought a IPhone 4 on ebay and found it to be locked ( after I was told it was unlocked)

I had bought a new UK SIM and was led to believe that I could get the phone to work on the UK Sim.

BUT I found that the phone would NOT connect to Itunes..and I got a message saying it wouldnt connect for some specific reason,,I cant recall the exact script.

I was going to send it back and take it up with ebay after the seller initialy ignored me...for a full refund.

I contacted Apple to enquire over the phone and they asked me for the serial number to check the details..they told me that it was shown on their records as having been repaired after replacing with another..and still in their premises..and that they didnt know How the seller had obtained it..

I eventually got a reply from the seller after I had contacted him to explain what Apple had said..and he said he didnt understand what may have happened.and he said the phone had been working..but on a AT&T sim.

Apple had informed me once they were given details from the seller by means a satisfactory explanation as proof of purchase that they would allow it to be unlocked. OTHERWISE they would not investigate it any further or do anything for me...which I found annoying.They said to send the phone back to the seller or contact ebay if he could not for a refund and initially I started to do this.

They did say that ALL...I phones once unlocked would work on ANY SIM.

I was later informed by the seller he suggested that I got the phone unlocked or using special free online software that could jailbreak it...He said IF I sent it ack to him that he would jailbreak it..at the time I didnt know what this meant..

So I got curious...I thought that jailbreaking was unlocking the phone. I obtained some information on jailbreaking the phone and attempted it...and managed to do it to some degree..
http://www.redsn0w.us/

search for latest guides and latest download

It did connect to itunes and started a process to load other Apps etc..but my laptop didnt have enough disc space to allow the process to complete...but it MAY have had some efect on it..

Also I managed to load a program called CYDIA that I believe will
allow the I phone to complete the jail break process and be used
ok everytime you switch it on and off..

otherwise from what I understand if you swith the phone off, without completing cyda..you have to jailbreak it each time..
But I nneded to update I tune before I could complete this process
of completing Cydia... unfortunatly I never completed it..

It also worked on wifi on safari which I was led to believe that it wouldnt actually work on safari and that id have to use another browser...

I still was unsure if Id also unlocked it...

The phone worked ok for a few days on safari wifi..

BUT it froze up on safari after id opened 8 webpages and I was unable to unfreeze it.

So I was unable to use this function...in the end I switched the phone off...and unfortunately since I have not been able to switch it back on to work correctly..seems I need to jail break it again... but at the moment my laptop has come up with a windows system 32 confi system error and wont work..

When I was considering seriously sending back this I phone for a refund after Ebay had told me that they would guarantee id get my money back...

I saw another I phone 4 and bid for it and won it..

This said it was working on a AT&T sim..

After my last experience...Id been told by apple I phones could be unlocked and once they were that they would work on any SIM..

WELL !!!... I am sorry to say that I had been informed incorrectly.... I have since found out that if it is a USA phone on an initial AT&T contract.. that some AT&T phones are unlockable and will only wok on AT&T sims..and that means that they wont work on any other sim or work outside the USA UNLESS you take out what is known as an international contract with them.

SO you have to be VERY careful when buying a 2nd hand phone especially on Ebay..

I am told however that SOME more later AT&T phones can be unlocked.

I did find a $24 software program that claims to unlock most I Phones. and it allowed you to enter a serial type number to check if that phone was unlockable...The one I had did say it was unlockable...

BUT I am still unlear if I jailbreak it IF I can then obtain and use a UK sim on it.. OR DO YOU have to have it specially Unlocked...in order to use a different SIM ?

Can any one advise Why My initial I phone froze up on safari and what you can do if it does freeze up ?

Also can you expain if jailbreaking a phone that you can then obtain and use a sim to make phone calls ?

Thank you

Dowsp.

Advertisements

Samantha Lee

Samantha Lee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
The simple answer to your question is that Jailbreaking an iphone will not allow it to work on another provider/in another country.

It needs to be unlocked. Usually from the company it was originally with (the cell phone provider, not the manufacturer).

Beware: an unlocked phone is not guaranteed to work with other providers or in other countries. If you end up with any problems with the unlocked phone, you're basically on your own.

Chemg

Chemg

• Pip
  • 8 posts
You can also use a program yourself to unlock your iPhone 4. There are a few programs out there you can use.