Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about organizing W7

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
1) How can I change where I download files to?
2) Is it possible to change the location of the recycle bin?
3) On "Computer" it shows favorites, libraries, and users before actually showing computer, and it is computer that I want to see, but have to scroll down to get to it. Is there any way to show computer first? Or is there alternative software that works better? I used powerdesk with XP, but it doesn't work with W7.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
1) How can I change where I download files to?
Using which browser, IE8 or IE9?

If IE8, see here: Change Directory where Internet Explorer 8 downloads files

If IE9 then you select it via Save as that shows at the bottom of the browser window when you download a file.

IE9SaveAs.jpg

2) Is it possible to change the location of the recycle bin?

No. Each drive/partition has a recycle bin. You can't change it.

3) On "Computer" it shows favorites, libraries, and users before actually showing computer, and it is computer that I want to see, but have to scroll down to get to it. Is there any way to show computer first? Or is there alternative software that works better? I used powerdesk with XP, but it doesn't work with W7.

Pin Windows Explorer to your Taskbar. Right click on it and select Properties. Change Target: to be

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\

That will open to the root of C: with C: selected and expanded, like it used to be in XP.

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thanks for the quick reply...

1) I mistakenly assumed it was windows. Changing it in the browser works.
2) Oh well.
3) Not quite what I wanted, but an improvement. I would prefer not to see the upper stuff at all, but at least this starts in the right place.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Most people who migrate from XP to Vista or Windows 7 don't like the Libraries as they are not familiar with them. I was the same. I've taken the time to learn how to use them and now find them very useful.

Saying that, this should tell you how to get rid of them: Remove Favorites, Libraries, and Homegroup from Navigation Pane