Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp pc disappeared from network can't get it to reconnect

• Please log in to reply

KaozKlown

KaozKlown

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have for a couple years had a home wifi network set up with 2 pcs on it. I have a PC running windows 7 direct connected and a pc using Windows xp connected via a wireless adapter. They were in a workgroup together up until recently I had them set to share folders and printers. Recently the Windows xp pc disappeared from the workgroup and I cant seem to find it again. I have tried everything I could think of to fix it. I have checked both firewalls, the router settings, and ensured both were checked to allow file sharing and folder sharing. Any help in getting these computers to communicate again so that I can access folders from either computer would be greatly appreciated. Please help me fix this. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

I'd start by making sure that the two systems can speak to each other. Can you do the following...

1. On the XP box, open the command prompt (Windows key + "R" type cmd then click "OK") type ipconfig and make a note of the Address, Mask, and Gateway.
2. On the Win 7 box, open the command prompt (Windows key + "R" type cmd then click "OK") type ipconfig and make a note of the Address, Mask, and Gateway.
3. Still in the command prompt type "ping <Address of the XP box>" make a note of the results.
4. Do point 3 on the XP box giving the address of the Win 7 box.

After you have done this we should be in a better position to diagnose the problem.

KaozKlown

KaozKlown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
sorry for the slow response, it has been a rather busy week. That computer seems to have gotten a virus on it that caused it to lose its internet connectivity now, so I must first fix that issue, which I hope to do in the next couple days. If i can get this problem fixed soon I will run the pings and post back with the results hopefully by the end of the week

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Good luck with the virus removal, the team here could help you if needed.

KaozKlown

KaozKlown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
was able to clear the viruses but still cant restore computers ability to get internet connectivity am going to post in forums here for help, will respond back to this post to try to fix this issue once it has connectivity again

KaozKlown

KaozKlown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
they were able to help me in the malware forum to get the internet connectivity back once all that was cleaned up and taken care of the computer rejoined the workgroup so the network is once again restored.

Thank you for trying to help though