Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Spam

• Please log in to reply

DalaiLama

DalaiLama

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

Someone in my office got a spam mail today and two other members of the office were CCed.

The site being promoted in the mail was a pharmaceutical company selling low cost knock off drugs.

It was curious that the three people were CCed on the message and was wondering how Spammers manage to get these addresses?

It so happens that the three people this message went to are executives in our company who rarely use e-mail so they are unlikely candidates for e-mail harvesters.

I’m very curious if anyone has any ideas.

Advertisements

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
are their e-mails on the web anywhere?

DalaiLama

DalaiLama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No. Their addresses are not on the corporate web site or any other site.

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Most likely someone in the company has an infected computer and did something with those e-mails. Whether it was sending them in an e-mail or something else.

If they are on the web at all that could happen(ex: they could have been posted in a forum somewhere, etc.)

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Many many things could have happend.
Also there are some spam viruses that can send mail from your address, and I'm assuming some that can take contacts off of your address book.

I mean, anything could of happend, for one, If you know these executives well ask them if their e-mail auto ccs to the others.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if your company has an exchange server i'd scan it there could be something infecting exchange and attatching to the global list. though you'd think more than 3 people would have been mailed. also executives generally have private offices and enjoy adult content so whether they admit it or not they might not be where they are supposed to be online.

dont know your capacity in your company or what size company it is but if you guys have a large spam problem check out the barracuda spam firewall at www.barracudanetworks.com

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:15 PM.