Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows can't find hdd

• Please log in to reply

sgome31

sgome31

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I recently got a message after doing a virus scan on mi computer that it can't boot up because there is a file missing. I tried to boot up with my xp cd to run a fix boot or a chkdisk. When I boot up from the cd I come up to we're it says enter to install xp or r to run repair, no matter what I press it says that windows can not detect any hdd. I checked in the bios and I see them listed the only thing is that I see them with a message that says the the drive is being controlled by bios raid. What does that mean and how do I fix this

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Depending on your computer you might:

1- have a corrupted HDD that windows cannot detect, download the diagnostic boot program from your HDD manufacturer and test your HDD.

2- In your BIOS change your HDD setting to either IDE or SATA instead of RAID

3- Make sure you do not have AHCI mode enable for HDD in your BIOS since XP does not recognise HDD under this mode

Hope this helps

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
BIOS Raid indicates your using a RAID array for your drives. If it's RAID 0 then you are facing a reinstall or restore to factory state. There is no way I know of to access a RAID setup from the Recovery Console to do things like run chkdsk.

Post the make and model number of your computer.

Also, download and install Belarc Advisor. Run it then zip the output file and upload and attach to a reply here. The file will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Belarc\Advisor\System\tmp with a name the same as your computer name and an extension of html. Mine for instance is (Dell-p370).html (including parenthesis).

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
What I have is a dell xps 400 and it's running wind

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Turn on (or restart) your computer.

When the blue DELL™ logo is displayed, you must watch for the F2 prompt to appear.

Once this F2 prompt appears, press <F2> immediately.

attach is what is written in your manual on how to set up your HDD. Since you are using XP you should choose RAID Autodetect/ ATA – RAID if the drives are signed, otherwise ATA

[attachment=56111:sta on dell xps 400.JPG]

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have tried using that setting and nothing. When says that I should be pressing f6 to install a raid drive I press it and nothing happens.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It can take a few minutes after you press F6 before anything happens. Just went through this today on a laptop designed for Vista that the owner wanted XP Pro on. Nothing apparent happened after pressing F6 but a few minutes later (2 -5 I think), we got a window saying something about picking the SATA to use. We picked a random one then the installer loaded the needed SATA drivers from the external (USB attached) floppy drive. I was amazed it worked.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
What was on the floppy drive? drivers for that hdd? And were can I get them?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need the driver for the SATA controller on your system board. You should be able to get it from the computer manufacturer's web site.