Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New web site - where to start and how much will it cost

• Please log in to reply

AndreasH

AndreasH

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have plans to make a big website that includes a ton of data. It will be a site that will have a mix of things and it has to be fast. My plan is for the site to be as fast as Facebook with lots of data. What would it take to develop something like Facebook from the start (the site plans is not to make a new FB of anything, I just use that as an example).

My plan was to get a team together and be there myself during the process of making the site. Where should I go? Should I hire one person first to get me started, or should I get a team. Or is it better to use a company? The plan is that this site should be really popular (of course), and I think I will need a ton of programmers in the future. But I am not sure how to get that far.

I have been thinking about going to India. Is that smart? It is of course to save money, but how is the quality of the work performed there? Are they good when it comes to developing sites there?

How much will the cost be of developing a this site (BIG site with a lot databases)?

Thanks a lot for good answers!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! You could probably develop the platform off-shore for $50-100k. That's assuming you are able to lead the project and provide direction. If not, you'd have to hire someone to do that. Then there's the cost of hosting, the actual servers and infrastructure needed to get it online. For a company the size of Facebook that's a huge expense.

You have to remember Facebook started very small, as many companies and websites do. Only very large companies like Google, Microsoft or Apple would be able to match Facebook's scale out of the gate.

AndreasH

AndreasH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Welcome to Geeks to Go! You could probably develop the platform off-shore for $50-100k. That's assuming you are able to lead the project and provide direction. If not, you'd have to hire someone to do that. Then there's the cost of hosting, the actual servers and infrastructure needed to get it online. For a company the size of Facebook that's a huge expense.

You have to remember Facebook started very small, as many companies and websites do. Only very large companies like Google, Microsoft or Apple would be able to match Facebook's scale out of the gate.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

When you say off-shore. Is that India, or is it other places that is as good? Preferably where they speak English?

I think I can lead the project. I know how I want to be. But I am not a web designer. I just know what kind of information I want where on the site. Is that good enough, or do I need some other project manager?

I didn't thing I could have a site up as Facebook now. But as fast as Facebook for the numbers of users on the site.

Where is the best place to have the infrastructure? What would be the price of servers that could have 100TB om data and be fast? With 10000-50000 users?

Thanks!

Paul Sadlik

Paul Sadlik

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well if you want to start a website, keep in your mind, copied ideas never earn money for you. In fact you have to get that money element out of your mind to hit a good idea. First of all think of some new idea and then invest on it. If you have something new for the internet users, your web site will automatically become popular within short time.

Disruption

Disruption

Geek in Training

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
If your looking for servers for your site, I recommend talking to hosting companies such as GoDaddy,NameCheap and DotVPS. They can give you a better answer as you need hosting and their providers for it all.