Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drag & Drop Issue, and so much more

• Please log in to reply

nickoho

nickoho

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys, sorry to bother you all, but ive been at this for a couple of days now and ive literally got no ideas left.... Anyway here's whats happening, all of which started suddenly yesterday:

- I can't drag and drop icons anywhere on the computer, desktop, other folders, etc.
- Firefox plays up quite badly. Being that i cant move the window around, I can't resize, and often i can't close the window without going into the task manager.
- In VLC, I can't do much of anything, cant change volume, can't choose a time or any of that, and again can't close the window without task manager.
- PS3 Media Server, can't do anything.
- Ocasionally, everything becomes unselectable and the only way to get it back is to ctrl+alt+del, and close the window.

And here's what I've tried to fix it:
- 3 separate virus scans
- 2 different spyware scans
- Ran CCleaner
- Checked "enable context menus and dragging and dropping"
- Unchecked auto arrange
- Formatted my windows drive.
- Updated various drivers, mobo, keyboard/mouse, processor
- Reinstalled Java (which i did cause it seemed like most things that use java were playing up)

I'm really at a loss of what else to do, if anyone has any ideas I would be very VERY greatful!

Hope to hear from someone soon! :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi nickoho ... :wave: ..:welcome:

what do you mean by Formatted my windows drive...

create a new admin user account...reboot and log into it...does that account have the same issues...

nickoho

nickoho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry shouldve made that clearer, I formatted the partition with windows on it :P

Reguardless, I made the new admin account which didnt fix the problem, BUT after logging back out and into the original account, voila! It works again! :D
Thanks very much sir, you've saved me a long time of beating my head against the wall :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you mean like this...:bashhead:
anyway glad you got it fixed
and your welcome ;)

nickoho

nickoho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Heh, yeh exactly like that :P

Quick ammendment to this. The logging in and out thing seems to fix it, but it keeps coming back every now and then. Any idea on a more permenant fix? :)

AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
  • MVP
Have you checked to see whether this option was ticked?

Right click on the Taskbar > Properties > Start Menu button > Customize > Make sure the checkbox for "Enable context menus and dragging and dropping" is checked > OK > Apply.

If changes don't take effect right away (assuming that is unchecked) you might have to reboot, or logoff and then back in, and that should do the trick.

Also, I've seen odd occurrences where the ESC key was "sticking", so make sure that button is not being constantly pressed, because if it is, you won't be able to drag and drop...

Edited by AceInfinity, 27 January 2012 - 07:04 PM.

nickoho

nickoho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey AceInfinity, thanks for the suggestions, but I've already done all that, with no luck :(

It's strange though, because for some reason, logging out, into a different account, then back in again seems to fix the problem for about an hour :S

Makes no sense to me.... :(

AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
  • MVP

Hey AceInfinity, thanks for the suggestions, but I've already done all that, with no luck :(

It's strange though, because for some reason, logging out, into a different account, then back in again seems to fix the problem for about an hour :S

Makes no sense to me.... :(

You shouldn't have to login to a different account for it to "refresh" some changes. You should just be able to reboot, or logoff, then straight back in for changes to revert back to a "fixed state".

nickoho

nickoho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah I know Ace, thats why it's so weird. Restarting makes no difference whatsoever :S