Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card selectioin Help

• Please log in to reply

N2Abyss

N2Abyss

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Gateway 4300E Low form Factor,
MotherBoard Intel Corp D915GUX,
CPU Intel Pentium 4,
1391 MB of free memory/2045 MB Total, 350W Athena Power Supply

Looking for a low profile card to up grade a failing ati radeon 4300/4500 series card.
Has to be low profile, preferably with a fan/sink, but thin.
I recently purchased "Gigabyte HD 4550", but can't get it to work!
Display will not function correctly, display has lines and fractured look to it. (looks like an extremely low resolution)

I have re-seated the card, Installed the Catalyst soft ware that came with the card(ATi Radeon HD 4550 Series Graphics Acclerator Driver CD) 12DC1-HD455HM-10CR, and hydro Vision. Have adjusted resolution to 1024x768 Res on a Samsung SyncMaster 19" monitor.

Nothing seems to work, although I can re-install my old ATi Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series card and the display is fine? I either picked a non compatible card, or the card is bad.
Thanks in advance, for any help
N2

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Note that card requires at least a 400W PSU. Is yours big enough?

N2Abyss

N2Abyss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's what it say's in the user's manual, but the web site says 350w!
Hard to do your research when they have two sets of values!
N2

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, actually, in checking the Gateway page for that card, it says 300 minimum.

Still, I note Athena PSUs are not highly rated. If me, I would swap in a known good PSU just to make sure I was providing good power.

Also, it is possible you got a bad card. Until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be some failures. You could try that card in another computer, or get an RMA and send it back.

N2Abyss

N2Abyss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Being a small form factor, my choices of PSU's was limited especially for higher wattage's.
The card was purchased from a vender on e-bay, I have contacted him but am doubtful I will be able to return.
Not knowing a lot about comparing the specs of the card to the specs of my PC, I picked what I thought would work size wise and compatibility wise, Unless there is some type of electronic incompatibility, I would guess I received a bad card.

Any suggestions as to a card that might suit the size restrictions,MO board and power requirements would be greatly appreciated!
I'm afraid I may be missing something as for as mother board requirements, when it comes to picking a card!
I don't do a lot of gaming on this machine, just some Myst and Rivin, the pc is mostly used for photo editing and viewing.

Thanks
N2