Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SF-1156IV/R9A Modem Questions

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
So, I'm ever so much closer to firing up my newer Dell Optiplex GX270 computer.
The Restore CDs from RestoreDisks.com arrived today.
The 56K Dial Up Modem that I ordered from the Walmart website is still 10 days away from arriving.

Nevertheless, a possible plan to get the computer up and running this weekend is to take the Modem out of my old Gateway computer and slap it into my Dell computer.

The Modem in my Gateway computer is an: SF-1156IV/R9A

NOW ...
(1) I notice that that Modem has an extra Plug that IS used in my Gateway computer.
The indication on the Plug says: Line Out ... and Mic In
From what I can see on my Dell computer, that Plug is NOT something that's gonna be used.
There is no connector on my Dell computer where that cable would go.
CAN I use this Modem and just leave that Plug with nothing connected to it?

From what I vaguely read, that is probably related to that Modem being a "VOICE" Modem and being able to handle Phone Answering functions or something.

(2) What are the odds that the Windows XP Professional that I'm gonna be installing in that Dell computer is going to be able to handle that Modem as is without needing an additional Driver installed?

(3) If I do need an additional Driver installed to handle that Modem ...
What is a legit, reliable website from which I can download the Driver?
I somewhat saw some places, but I have no idea whether they are legit, SAFE sources for Drivers or Virus Pits.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hi Chimit

Why do you need to use restore disk/s?

A1: Can`t see why not, as you have said the Dell does not have the voice - fax facility so it should only see the modem itself, be sure that you put the additional unused cable securely out of the way.

A2: Hard to say but if there is no compatible Dell driver available Windows may have a suitable generic one.

A3: http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ you are allowed to download two drivers a day for free.

I am only suggesting the free driver download and in no way suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

It depends on the answer to the question that I have asked on what will be suggested next.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks for your reply, Tech!
The reason I have to use the Restore Disks from RestoreDisks.com is that my niece gave me that computer. She bought it at an auction at the bank where she works. As per procedure, the Hard Drive was of course Wiped Clean. So, I needed to put Windows XP and all the Drivers and stuff back in it.

I initially tried acquiring the Restore Disks from Dell. But, that turned out to be a lengthy, unproductive mess where after talking to 3 different people, I still wasn't on my way to getting the Restore Disks ordered. Besides, they didn't have the Drivers CD anymore. I had been asked for a "Customer Number" of the original owner. (The bank where my niece bought it.) THAT of course was something I was told by that bank's IT department (via my niece) that was something I could NOT have. There was no way I could have said Customer Number. They told me Dell had no business asking me for their Customer Number when no one else who bought similar computers at that auction needed that number.

So, at the avast Forums, I was told about RestoreDisks.com.
I ordered them and I now have the 5 Restore CDs.

The computer came without a Modem. That's why I'm having to address that issue.

Edited by Chimiti, 28 January 2012 - 08:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
It is normal procedure to remove HDDs when purchasing such items so you are lucky there is a HDD even fitted.
Where are you upto at the moment as in have you installed the restore disk/s?
Also please note that the drivers must be installed in a certain order or you will have stability issues, start with the Chipset Drivers http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Oh, I haven't started yet. I've been doing some other stuff.
I'll probably get on with the System Restore process after lunch.
As to installing the Drivers in a specific order?
Oh, there shouldn't be any problem with that.
As I said, 5 Restore CDs arrived.
The CDs are numbered in the order in which I am supposed to install them.
CD #2 is the Driver CD.
So, I'm sure all the Drivers will be installed in the proper order.

Thanks for the Motherboard Tip. In this case, there's no new Motherboard involved.
All the hardware it came with, that's what I'm gonna be using.

Hopefully I don't encounter any issues during the install.
I've done tons of Windows 98SE Reinstalls on my other computer.
But, I have never done a Windows XP Install.
If I encounter any problems, I'll be back with a question or two or however many need be.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Sorry just to clarify new MB means any other MB than the original new or old.

If I encounter any problems, I'll be back with a question or two or however many need be.

No worries - ask away if you need to :thumbsup: