Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No ports shown in Windows 7 under Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

ISGPeter

ISGPeter

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hi just purchased a new ASUS Zenbook UX31E and after having installed some monitoring software for my solar panels I installed the USB driver for my 232 to USB cable. When trying to set the COM Port for this I found the Ports (COM & LPT) were not desplayed in the Device Manager. I tried showing hidden devices to no avail?

Any advice would be helpful thanks.

Peter

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
What operating system is on the Zenbook? I find it odd you needed a special driver - it seems Windows 7 should have it.

Did you reboot after installing?

ISGPeter

ISGPeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

What operating system is on the Zenbook? I find it odd you needed a special driver - it seems Windows 7 should have it.

Did you reboot after installing?

Hi running Windows 7 HP 64bit and yes I rebooted several times.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
And this USB to RS232 cable setup worked fine before on another computer?

Did you try a different USB port?

ISGPeter

ISGPeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

And this USB to RS232 cable setup worked fine before on another computer?

Did you try a different USB port?

Yes it worked fine on another ASUS I am replacing running Windows 7 HP.

I haven't plugged the USB in as yet as I need to configure it to run on COM Port 1 for the monitoring software to work.

I just expected the various COM ports to be displayed in Device Manager as they have been on most other computers or laptops I have used?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Since COM ports are legacy devices, many new motherboards/computers don't have them - thus the need for an adapter, like your RS232 to USB cable.

What does your manual (or the cable's website installation instructions) say? In looking at a few cables, they all say with Vista or Windows 7, make sure nothing is connected to the RS232 connector, then plug the USB end to the computer. Windows 7 should see it, and install the proper driver for you. Then you should see it in Device Manager. And from there, you can follow the instructions to install the RS232 device.

ISGPeter

ISGPeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thank you for that I will try in the morning when the solar system wakes up (it's 10:55pm here now).

The manual refer's to win7 etc and as the whole set up works fine on my other ASUS UL30VT I certainly didn't expect it to be an issue with the new UX31E.

Let's hope by plugging it in it recognises it but I have a feeling it's going to come up with something like no COM port 1 or ....

Thank you for your help and I will report back tomorrow.

Peter

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like a plan but do note, from what I am reading, it is important to connect just the cable to the computer first - that is make sure the RS232 end has nothing attached.

ISGPeter

ISGPeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Digerati problem solved. As soon as I plugged the 232/USB cable in it picked up the driver I previously loaded and allowed me to configure the necessary COM Port for the monitoring software. Ports now show up in the Device Manager.

Many thanks for your help and YESSSS Geeks to Go does it again.

Cheers

Peter

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Great! Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the follow-up.