Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my laptop hacked or infected with a root kit!? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SpyCatsher

SpyCatsher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hi Render and many thanks again for all your help.

I知 very glad and relieved that my lap top is clean and I take your word for it; still wondering though from the different scans if you have seen and fixed any rootkit, spyware or something else; or was I worrying too much!?

The instruction for better security will read and apply in due time.

I値l proceed now with the housecleaning and if some issues happen will post.

Once again Thank you very much
:thumbsup:

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
We removed c:\docume~1\Eigenaar\LOCALS~1\Temp\HNM.exe and it's service. As I know it is some kind of spyware.

SpyCatsher

SpyCatsher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
That was also detected by WinPatrol as stated in my my first post. I disabled the service but I couldn't find the file to delete; the path to it couldn't be found! I wonder how dangerous was that spyware on a scale of 0-10 and what for damage could it have done on my lap top. I do not have bank data enz, but I have personal writings, etc.

PS. I will not be able to respond for a couple of days, as earlier mentioned. If the thread had to be closed; thanks for all your help.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
It's hard to tell how dangerous could be. Usually spyware programs can collect various types of personal information, such as Internet surfing habits and sites that have been visited, but can also interfere with user control of the computer in other ways, such as installing additional software and redirecting Web browser activity. To be sure I recommend you to change passwords on your e-mail account(s), forums etc.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.