Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AMD Gaming Build

• Please log in to reply

ionicism

ionicism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've considered liquid cooling, but never really looked into it; does anyone know how much I could expect that to cost? Also, will the cooling that liquid offers be as efficient/less/more efficient than air cooling?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
if you do decide to go liquid/water cooling make shure you buy a good cooling system. Some of the cheapo water cooling systems is just like a fish/water pump with hoses and water blocks. I would go with a high quality water cooling system that has radiators.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Great site for water cooling.There very beginner friendly http://www.koolance.com/

ionicism

ionicism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the help, here's my final build. I intend to start buying parts this week, so can someone look it over quickly for critical problems? Thanks.

Case- ThermalTake VA7000BWA SHARK Black Series ATX Full Tower
PSU- ThermalTake Silent PurePower 680W Power Supply
Mobo- DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
Processor- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice Core
RAM- Corsair 2GB DDR400 XMS3200 DIMM Memory w/ Black Heat Spreader
Video Card- Sapphire Radeon X800 XL
CD Drive- Lite-On 52x/32x/52x CDRW
DVD Drive- Pioneer DVR-109 Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB (x2)
Sound Card- Creative AUDIGY 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Monitor- ViewSonic G220fb
Keyboard- Saitek PC Gamers' Keyboard
Mouse- Logitech MX518
Speakers- Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System
Joystick- Saitek Cyborg Evo
Gamepad- Logitech RumblePad 2 Vibration Feedback Gamepad

Yes, it is without water cooling, as w/software and peripherals it comes to 2999.50...

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Nice stuff - top shelf.

Couple few comments for you to think about.
1. Zahlman, Thermalright or Thermaltake CPU heatsink & fan - better than AMD OEM
2. Spend the extra bucks now and go with XMS extra low latency dual channel - there's a big reason for the price difference
3. CDRW - why not a plain DVD drive - your DVDRW will do CD's just fine and then you have the potential for copy on the fly

Only mention these to stimulate your thinking - you have picked out some very nice components.

:tazz:

ionicism

ionicism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Spend the extra bucks now and go with XMS extra low latency dual channel - there's a big reason for the price difference

View Post

The RAM I have listed is XMS and dual channel, is there something different you meant?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
looks good :tazz:

What kind of cooling are you going to use on the CPU?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Yes ...........

XMS extra low latency dual channel

Sorry, thought you would understand there is quite a difference.

edit: Let me look that up for you. My Bad - I glossed right over the 2 gigs.

Edited by Rockster2U, 07 June 2005 - 01:39 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Here's the XMS I would recommend. 2-3-3-6 CAS2.

ionicism

ionicism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was intending to use OEM cooling for the CPU, but don't know the other options and the costs.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Look at that Thermalright copper with the heatpipes or the copper Zahlman. The Thermalright will probably knock you a couple of degrees lower with the right fan but the Zahlman will keep you plenty cool with hardly any noise. Both are superior to the stock cooler.

Again - not trying to preach here - you have done an excellent job - just consider this as more food for thought. What you have listed above is all top shelf.

Edited by Rockster2U, 07 June 2005 - 02:13 PM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

I was intending to use OEM cooling for the CPU, but don't know the other options and the costs.

View Post

I was just asking because you didnt post it ;)

If you buy a retail CPU it will come with the HSF :tazz:

It should do fine if you keeping it a stock speeds or a mild overclock

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Do you plan on overclocking? If you do, buy a better heat sink/fan. If you don't then slash the mobo/ram/power supply for less costly versions that don't support ocing as much.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Do you plan on overclocking? If you do, buy a better heat sink/fan. If you don't then slash the mobo/ram/power supply for less costly versions that don't support ocing as much.

View Post

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
The stock fan is great, i have a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ OC to 2.2 GHz (My first overclock) and idle its about 35 and in games like cs source it reachs about 45. I wouldnt worry to much about a new HSF. By the way AWESOME parts *droools*!