Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on windows 7

• Please log in to reply

leroynuma

leroynuma

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i am running windows 7 home premium on a 32 bit hp pavilion laptop and have been experiencing the blue screen of death for a while, it seams that "NTKRNLPA" is causing it most of the times i have triyed accesing it but get an error message saying it cannot be run in win 32 bit mode i have tryed re-installing win 7 without succes the problem still ocurs
i have attached the latest dumpfilesAttached File  bsod.txt   11.75KB   135 downloads.

Edited by leroynuma, 28 January 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you mean when you say you tried to reinstall Win 7 without success? What happened? How did you try to do this?

What is the model number of the HP laptop?

leroynuma

leroynuma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i mean that i re-installed of the windows 7 software cd but the bsod still presists, and its a "hp pavilion dv7-3101sa"

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like it may be a hardware problem then. Need to test the RAM.

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

Also, what is the make and model number of your computer?
What devices do you have connected to it, other than mouse, keyboard and display? How are they connected?

leroynuma

leroynuma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i have booted the mem test and it got no passes and 2 errors at test 8
and its a :HP pavilion and the model number is: dv7-3101sa
and i do not have any devices connected

Edited by leroynuma, 29 January 2012 - 02:25 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That says you have defective RAM. You need to replace it. I don't know how much ram you have in your laptop but I'm reasonable sure it will have to modules installed. The easiest way to see which is bad is to remove one then rerun the memory test. If it still fails the one in the laptop is the culprit. If it doesn't fail then the one you removed is the culprit.

Sometimes though, the act of removing and reinstalling ram resolves the problem. Can be caused by a slightly dirty contact or something not seated properly. So if the one you removed seems to be the cause, mark it so you will remember which one it is, then remove and reinstall both moduls and run the test again.

If it still fails then you need to replace the bad module.

Seee here for some help with this: How to Upgrade and Install RAM Memory

leroynuma

leroynuma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i took the RAM out and replaced it and that seamed to do the trick i havent had any blue screens and i passed the mem test thank you very much.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sometimes we get lucky, glad to hear it's working.