Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost "EXE" files

• Please log in to reply

LindaJean

LindaJean

• Pip
  • 3 posts
It all began with a game cd I purchased; it worked but had a flaw. I contacted the game tech, (I won't do THAT again); he sent me to a site to download a "fix". It turned out to be drivers which messed up the pc (mostly the pc "display"). I uninstalled the "fix" which somehow also got rid of my "exe" files, and the game now won't play at all, won't even open.

Everything (programs) I clicked on my desktop all had a pop-up box saying words to the effect that the program won't open, I had a choice of either letting the net find the proper program to open it or I could find it manually. Neither option worked, IE would never connect, and who knows what program will open what program manually!

{Deep breath}.........SO! I went to this site http://en.kioskea.ne...#first-solution and chose the first option. I followed the instructions, but realized too late there was no "restore" button. CRAP!!! The result is now nothing I click on my desktop opens or does anything, not even giving me the pop up box I got before telling me opening the program was a no-go.

Also, the icons in my taskbar are now folders (Volume, Winmedia, anti-everything). I only know what they are by placing the cursor over them. Doesn't matter much, as clicking on them does nothing, they don't open.

Thank you in advance.

Is there a REAL SIMPLE way I can undo this?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Go to this place to see an option to replace your damage or missing system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do a System Restore to before you installed the game and/or the fix.

See here: How to Do a System Restore in Windows 7

LindaJean

LindaJean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you both for your prompt reply.

System restore only allows me to go back to the date the trouble began. System file checker I cannot do .....when I type in the "run" box the initial word "Cmd" i get the "Windows cannot open this file, etc. " message.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, try this.

Goto Windows® XP File Association Fixes. Click on the EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Then use File / Import to merge the .reg file (after you unzip it) into your registry.

LindaJean

LindaJean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome, hope that fixed it for you.