Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"System Check" virus, cant boot from rescue discs or go to saf

• Please log in to reply

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
When you hit F8 you probably have to select your optical drive (CD/DVD drive) and press Enter. Is this laptop or desktop?

Advertisements

rrussell

rrussell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried booting off of the OTLPENet.exe disc. When asked, I selected safe mode with networking,it went to my windows USER log in, I logged in and it took me to my safemode desktop. As far as I could tell,the OTLPENet.exe disc did not run. I saved OTLPENet.exe to my safemode desktop. I then tried to run it from my desktop - when I select "run as", a window pops up and asks me "which user account do you want to use to run this program" and a box is checked which says "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity, this option can prevent computer viruses from harming your computer or personal data, but selecting it might cause the program to function improperly". If I hit OK, it says, "A device attached to the system is not functioning". I also ran MBAM and the log said it found nothing bad - for all the devices listed (memory processes detected, registry keys detected, folders detected, etc.) they all listed a "0"(no malicious items detected).

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please tell me if this is laptop or desktop.

rrussell

rrussell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
desktop has the virus.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. Please go here and read how to set your infected desktop computer to boot from optical drive.

rrussell

rrussell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried booting off of the OTLPENet.exe disc. When asked, I selected safe mode with networking,it went to my windows USER log in, I logged in and it took me to my safemode desktop. As far as I could tell,the OTLPENet.exe disc did not run. I saved OTLPENet.exe to my safemode desktop. I then tried to run it from my desktop - when I select "run as", a window pops up and asks me "which user account do you want to use to run this program" and a box is checked which says "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity, this option can prevent computer viruses from harming your computer or personal data, but selecting it might cause the program to function improperly". If I hit OK, it says, "A device attached to the system is not functioning". I also ran MBAM and the log said it found nothing bad - for all the devices listed (memory processes detected, registry keys detected, folders detected, etc.) they all listed a "0"(no malicious items detected).

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Well... You have to boot your computer from optical media. It can be a hardware related issue so I recommend you to take your computer to the nearest local computer service.

rrussell

rrussell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OK, thanks.

Please give me a definition for optical media.

As I understand the repairs needed, my hard drive needs to be taken out of my enclosure and then a PC shop can recover the data, is this correct ?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

I'm sorry to not be clear... Optical media is CD/DVD disk and optical drive is CD/DVD drive. I think that your CD/DVD drive is faulty, not hard disk.