Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Put in New Hard Drive, Now windows wont boot

• Please log in to reply

orbit9090

orbit9090

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
few questions please:

first, when I fdisked the new drive, the old drive was also installed as the master at that time.

I have before tried the old drive as master and the new drive as slave, but it would only work in safe mode.

And I don't know how I can get the samsung utility onto my computer, because ..

I went to reinstall windows 98 on top of the old one on the old drive. But the installation halted with fatal errors, and now it won't restart except in safe mode. In safe mode here there is no cd rom support. Unless theres something i don't know.

The old drive when scanned comes up as not having errors. But when I scan on thorough mode, it eventually says that it has started over ten times because something keeps writing to it. I've always gotten that error there, and don't know how to correct it having done multiple spyware scans and virus scans.

I'd like to enter in the new drive manually into cmos, but I do not know the process, as when i enter the cmos, it does not let me key into the areas where i can choose size,head, etc... Could somebody tell me how?

Also, now I am thinking of installing windows xp pro on the new drive. So I disconnect the old drive, and the new drive (which is empty and set on master,) is not recognized at all.

Also, I would just like to boot in that case from the windows xp cd, but my pc stops on the line "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:"

and I can't type anything. That happens every time.

Thanks for the answers, i appreaciate it.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
so have you set the jumpers?

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
i am sure win 98 dont support 80gig hdd but u should check the correct settings 4 the jumpers as peterm says there r settings 4 master and master with slave.......... check this