Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing router settings requires a power cylce

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
My router is: Buffalo Nfiniti High Power Wireless Router & Access Point WZR-HP-AG30H. It is dual band, meaning it includes both 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ WIFI. I am using the latest stable release of DD-WRT firmware, which is the default firmware installed when you get the router.

When I log into the router and change some settings, once I save those settings, I have to power cycle it for it to actually get an IP address from my cable modem (meaning I can't access the Internet). Before I power cycle the router, I can still access its settings page. I'm just not able to connect to the Internet.

I'm sure there's some setting for the router that is making it not automatically get an IP from the cable modem, but I have no idea what it might be.

Any clue?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

I'm not personally familiar with that model but almost every modem I work with performs a device reboot after I have changed settings to apply them. So what you are describing sounds about right from my experience.

However, has this always happened with this modem or is it only recent? Is there a little warning that comes up when you change settings that says "settings will take effect after next reboot" or similar (I have seen this before)? Lastly is the device under warranty - if so you may be able to contact Buffalo support and see if this is normal behaviour or not.

Cheers

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Actually, the router is fairly new. I purchased it 2 weeks ago. This has been happening since I originally set it up, so it could very well be by design. In all honesty, it never occurred to me that it was designed to do this, because the two prior routers I owned (not Buffalo brand or DD-WRT firmware) did not function this way. I would be able to change settings for the router without having to reboot it.

I do *not* get a message saying the settings will take effect at next reboot. To clarify, the problem I am having is *not* that the router is rebooting. The problem is that after I make a setting change, I lose access to the Internet until I manually reboot the router. This is all fine and good if I am changing my router settings while I am at home. But if I am changing settings remotely, I won't be able to again access my home network remotely until I am next at home (to manually reboot the router).

You do give me an idea, however. Perhaps I should post this question on the Buffalo forums. Maybe someone else there is experiencing a similar issue. The only thing is I don't know if the issue is with the router itself or its firmware. Oh well, hopefully *someone* there will have some info.

Thanks again.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you not choose to reboot the modem from within the login? Most modems I have used allow this.

Failing that... why are you changing modem settings remotely? :P

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
On one of the settings pages, there is an option to reboot the router. However, when I click to apply any changed settings, there isn't a message that pops up asking if I want to reboot the router. So once I apply the settings--again, assuming I am doing so remotely--I don't have access to the settings page to be able to click on "reboot router."

I have no specific answer as to why I need to change settings remotely. It's just that sometimes I am not at home and need to change a router setting...i.e. open a port, change some port forwarding rule, etc. And I fear that the next time I do so remotely, I will lose access to my home network until the next time I am physically at home.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Definitely sounds like a problem with the device then. You should be able to choose to "reboot router" and it should happen every time. That's why the option is there. I would be contacting Buffalo support.