Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly won't connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Saturday in the middle of a Facebook chat my pc stopped connecting to the Internet. From what I can tell everything seems to be working fine motem router.. Everything else connected to them works fine I even tried bypassing all that and getting the motem resent from the provider no luck HELP!!!! It's been 3 days with no pc I cant do my work on the iPod

Advertisements

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Anyone?? I need help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried power cycling all components?

What does your intenert connection setup look like?
You have a modem provided by your ISP (which you say the rest).
Do you have a router connected to the modem?
Are you connecting wirelessly or do you use an Ethernet cable?

Power off the computer.
Remove power from the router if you have one.
Remove power from the ISP's modem.
Wait a full minute.

Power on the modem and wait for the lights to stabilize, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Power on the router and wait for the lights to stabilize, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Power on the computer, let it fully boot.

Do you have a internet connection?

If not, click on Start then Run or press Window key (next to left Ctrl key) +R and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

If you don't have a Run selection off the Start menu, see here: Enable Run Command on Windows 7 or Vista Start Menu

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The motem and router are not the problem it's the pc something in the pc wont allow an Internet connection

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It just keeps saying windows cannot find cmd......

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
If I wipe my hard drive and put windows back on will that give me my connection back? I put in my windows disk now I have a new windows and an old windows and still no net will that work and how do I do that?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you try power cycling as I suggested? Even if there is nothing wrong with the router, it can get out of sync with the computer and cause the kind of problem you are seeing. Worth trying.

If you don't want to follow the suggestions I give please let me know. I don't mind but I don't want to waste my time either.

A reinstall will probably fix the problem. Try it if that's what you want to do.

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have tried that, it was the first thing I tried when I lost connection. And have been trying that for the past couple days

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, thanks. Couldn't tell from your previous reply.

I missed your 2nd post: It just keeps saying windows cannot find cmd......
This happens when you try to run

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

from the Run box? If so that's a little worrisome as that can be one symptom of some kind of malware infection. Doesn't mean it is, just that it could be.

Do you have your data backed up so if you do reinstall you won't lose it? If not you need to do that now.

What is your operating system, Vista or Windows 7? Which one and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Open an elevated Command Prompt and run the following commands:

netsh winsock reset

Remarks: Resets Winsock Catalog to a clean state.

netsh interface ip reset

Remarks: Removes all user configured settings. Restarting computer is
required before the default settings to be effect.

Reboot and see what happens.

You open an elevated Command Prompt by clicking on Start, All Programs, Accessories. Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If the above don't help, try this.

Open Control Panel then Device Manager.
Expand Network Adapters.
Right click on your wireless device and select Uninstall.
Click Apply/OK as needed to close all windows.

Reboot. Windows will rediscover the device and reload it's drivers. This often fixes problems like this.

Advertisements

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I don't have a wireless connection, it's hard wired to the router I have also tried bypassing the router and hooking it directly to the modem, I have removed this network and added it again. No luck! I m starting to think it is a virus, I do have all my files and such saved how do I reformat or what do I need to do now?

Edited by Missohmygod, 31 January 2012 - 11:15 PM.

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
My system is 7 64 bit

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes when I run the cmd etc etc in the cmd box windows just opens a little box saying cannot find cmd etc etc exact ally as typed

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for all the help. It's a lil hard to enter all this on a phone

Edited by Missohmygod, 31 January 2012 - 11:25 PM.

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
K did all that and still no change