Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Capturing .msi Installations

• Please log in to reply

PC Genie

PC Genie

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I keep coming across programs that I download or purchase that only provide installation programs with an "msi" extension. The actual program is downloaded and installed from a website. How can I capture the installation program; so that I can have the actual program and save it?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The MSI extension is irrelevant. All that means is it's a Windows Installer file.

If you find a program that installs by default from the internet, then it will almost certainly have a full download somewhere else on the website which you may have to hunt for on the website. You shouldn't have to "capture" anything.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

... it will almost certainly have a full download somewhere else on the website which you may have to hunt for on the website. You shouldn't have to "capture" anything.

Sounds pretty simple. I wish I could say that I've seen that on those websites. Unfortunately, a program that I purchased will no longer work; because the publisher's website has disappeared. Even the license verification no longer works. When I have OS problems and have to reinstall everything, that program is defunct. I was looking for a way to preserve my online software purchases.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what is the name of the program...