Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad system config info eror

• Please log in to reply

anon1248

anon1248

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My Computer(Compaq Cq61-327sa)caught a virus .it had blue screen of death saying kernel data inpage eror.So i ran chkdsk/f.But it did not solve the problem.so i rostored my laptop to factories settings.Every thing was fine until i got the blue screen again with the same problem.So i ran chkdk/f again,but in the middle of chkdsk, the blue screen came again.when i restarted it it loaded windows spalsh screen then it quickly flashes the blue screen of eror.(if this is the wrong section put it in right 1) plea

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like it may be defective memory or hard drive.

Test system memory:
Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

anon1248

anon1248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
sorry about late reply.my computer cant atually start.it stops at windows spalsh screen and flashes the blue screen witch shows bad system config info stop* 0x00000074 then restartes saying F30 no boot drive device found(ran out of space last time^)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check memory and hard drive as I described in my first post. You can create the bootable CDs on another computer to use on this one.

anon1248

anon1248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
juat downloaded disk

Edited by Mark81220, 02 February 2012 - 11:16 AM.

anon1248

anon1248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey the wierdest thing just happeng!
so i downdloaded the disk and put in my compurter.
i started the computer and did normal start up.
it started up.
so i shut my cumputer down and tryed it again but this time without the diskit also worked.
i'll keep the disk just in case and i reply back if the problems return
thank yo for your help and can relax now :lol: :thumbsup:
but the problems may return :bashhead:
wow i just prosted this then my computer just went blue screen again but this time saying
stop*0x0000000f4

Edited by Mark81220, 02 February 2012 - 11:31 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Run the tests.

anon1248

anon1248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
forgot to update you i ran test. it said pased with no eror. only ran test once, should i run it again?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
For memory, run at least 3 full passes.
For the hard drive, run a short test and if that's okay then run the long test.

anon1248

anon1248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
5 passes no errors

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That particular BSOD is often caused by malware (virus or spyware). Since you said you had a virus initially, I would suggest you go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

Do you have your important data backed up? If not that is the first thing I would do, before anything else. Then if it becomes necessary to reinstall XP your data is safe. You're not at that point yet but it''s something to keep in mind.

anon1248

anon1248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok thanks
i already backed my laptop up

anon1248

anon1248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey started a new thread showing the otl thing.but you know i said i restored it to factory settings and the virus is still there.In the corner of my default wallpaper it says this copy of windows is not genein buid 6001 or 7001do you think restoring it back to factory settings will make the virus go forever

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Restoring to factory should wipe out any malware infection as it formats the drive during the process.

anon1248

anon1248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
so do you think i should restore to factory