Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stubborn Phantom Nic?

• Please log in to reply

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,
I uninstalled (removed)a wireless network card and thought nothing of it until I tried to use my ethernet port.

I have looked in device manager and set it to show hidden devices and noticed two problems.
One is ras async is greyed out and also the network controller is greyed out. I have identified the network controller as the absent wireless card?

I have tried to uninstall both but it says they cannot be deleted as they maybe used to boot the pc.
I would like to (unless advised otherwise) completely delete the network controller and then uninstall/reinstall the ras async adapter.

Is there an easyish way of doing this. So far I have tried to do it via safe mode but still no joy.
A few solutions found give a long winded registry fix but i have limited experience of tampering with this, but if this is what it takes I will do it.
I have already exported the reg to a memory stick.

What approach should I take.
TIA....
Tom.
Running XP pro

Edited by Tommy Timebomb, 30 January 2012 - 03:41 PM.

Advertisements

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Please disregard the info I have given you.
I have the suspicion that I am barking up the wrong tree at the moment, must do some more homework!