Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE won't log onto web. "This file does not have a program asso

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
...performing this action. Create an association in the Set Association control panel." I get this now if I try to use IE to connect. I can get online with FF but not IE since I removed some nasties from my lappy.

I posted this in apps by mistake.:rolleyes: If a mod would please remove it from there I would appreciate it.:thumbsup:

Toshiba Satellite l305-S5955
Vista SP 2
2GB 32 bit

Hello G2G. Long time since I was here last. Well I have a situation that I need some help with. I searched and found a similar post to mine but it was for an XP and I have a Vista. To make it sweet and short.
I let a family member use it and they inturn let others use it & downloaded a bunch of crap on it. I went in having a strong gut feeling I would be doing some major cleaning and so I did. I uninstalled a lot of programs that was unbeknown to me and one or two that I did know or had and idea of what they were and didn't like the looks of things to come. After uninstalling and removing, I ran the SS&D,MBAM,SAS & my AVG 2x just to make sure I got all the nasties off. When they all came back clean twice running I then tried to open IE and that's when I received the message," "This file does not have a program associated to it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Association control panel." I checked with IE seeing how it was the only program/file doing this and it showed how to create and I still get this message. I believe one of two things may have happened. One of the bugs I removed took a part of the IE with it when I ran the malware & spyware programs, or I inadvertently uninstalled it from the add&remove. I read Here where "Retired Tech & rshaffer61" helped a couple of members some what with this but they had an XP. I have a Vista.
Can I remove the IE completely off my lappy and then download it new again?or is there a better way of fixing it?
So if anyone could through some pointers my way I would surely appreciate it. I am not afraid of getting my hands greasy . ;):help:

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:
Regards
BT

Edited by bigtrucks, 30 January 2012 - 07:32 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running sfc /scannow...it should replace the borked IE with a new shinny copy

just click on start and in the search box type in or copy and paste sfc /scannow

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Hey happyrock, Thanks for replying.
I couldn't get it to work so I am in safe mode now running it. I will post back with the results.
Regards
BT

Well what else do you have. Still get the error message.

I was thinking of doing a chkscn last night and when I was in the device manger I found the Network Adapter and found that the 6TO4 Adapter had yell0w warning sign. I would have fixed it but it has been a while and I don't remember how. Would that have any baring on my issue? Just curious.

Edited by bigtrucks, 10 February 2012 - 08:31 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /r...
nojoy ...
go here and Download Internet Explorer 9 and install it..
be sure to get the right version including either 32 bit or 64 bit

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Hey happyrock, I did try to install IE but still got the same message. I did finally get to run sfc and had to go to safe mode to access it. It could not repair some things.It is really long, do you want me to post?

ALSO! I happen to look in my device manager and found that the 6TO4 adapter had a warning yeild in front of it. Would this have anything to do with my issue?

Edited by bigtrucks, 10 February 2012 - 11:17 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

ALSO! I happen to look in my device manager and found that the 6TO4 adapter had a warning yeild in front of it. Would this have anything to do with my issue?

maybe...go to windows update and look for any updates it says you need...
have you tried system restore yet...
did you run chkdsk /r yet...
if all else fails you may have to Perform a Repair Installation For Vista...instructions are here...